Very low pH in new pool

Flbeachluvr

Bronze Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Port Orange, FL
My sister in law just had a new pool built by the same builder we used last year. She will only be a part time resident here in Florida so she will be using a pool service. The pool was filled last week (salt system) and just for fun this weekend I took my test kit to see what kind of numbers I got. FC was 0 and the pH was literally yellow. The pool builder did their pool school yesterday and did turn up the salt system to hopefully get some more chlorine going but he said that he likes new pools to have a really low pH for awhile and not to worry about it. I know he didn't say that when he did our pool. Has anyone heard of this? Is it safe to swim with a pH that low? When I put my arm in the water to take the sample it felt all dried out for hours afterwards.

The pool builder turned on the SWG before 30 days curing on the new plaster? Oy. Salt should not be added until 30 days past new plaster, and the SWG should be off for another day or two after that to allow complete dissolving and mixing in the water.

Is the PB done with the pool- all handed over to her for care? Did he tell her what levels to monitor for pH wise?

I would first ask PB what he wants done... he holds the warranty. If he's not concerned I'd go ahead and do your magic on the pool and raise that pH and FC.

What were all her test values?

Yippee :flower:

I only tested the FC and the pH as I figured the rest of the readings would be off and I didn't want to waste my supplies. Yes, he turned on the SWG already and did the same when he did our pool. No instructions on how to monitor other than giving her some crappy test strips which I told her were basically useless. His lack of instruction is what made me find this group. They are on their own for now but are starting weekly pool service next week. The person they hired came well recommended but we'll see. They live about 30 minutes from me but I did tell them that I would come by a few times over the summer when they are back in Utah and check their levels for them. I had just never heard or read of a PB recommending an extremely low pH on a new pool. Have you?

No I sure haven't! For new plaster the trend is usually high pH as the plaster is curing. People need to monitor it and keep it in proper range for the quality of the plaster to be maintained.

Can you help her fix this? I think she would want it to be in cared for now before the new pool guy comes.... no telling what he may or may not know to do?

Yip :flower:

I really think I'm going to just let them do what they want with the pool service. They were also swimming as soon as the pool was filled before anything had been added. I've recommended this group several times and told them about Pool School but if they are fine with things as they are I'm going to stay out of it. My husband teases me about being a "know it all" anyways. Hey at least I know that MY pool is perfectly balanced! ;);)

An acid startup would yield a very low pH. It would be very helpful to know the TA.

If the builder is done with the pool, definitely get in there and get a full set of test results & get that pH & FC up!

An acid startup would yield a very low pH. It would be very helpful to know the TA.

If the builder is done with the pool, definitely get in there and get a full set of test results & get that pH & FC up!

Yeah I'm just not willing to put myself out there and risk messing up a $35k pool. I just am concerned that they are swimming in that water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.