Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ground mount solar rack?

1. Back To Top    #1

Ground mount solar rack?

I plan to build a ground mount rack for my solar panels. I've seen a few different ways of building the rack and I'm not sure which would be best. There is the fully covered rack that the panels sit on top of and then there is an open slat type rack that the panels sit on top of. The slat type would be cheaper to build but the fully covered plywood type would be more sturdy. Which type would provide the best heating performance?
    Lagoon 42x31x20 steel vinyl 25000gal, Easytouch 4, IC60, Intelliflo 2VST, FlowVis meter, CC520, 480sqf Aquatherm Solar collectors, Dolphin A20 cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ground mount solar rack?

I've got the same project planned for whenever spring manages to make its way to my area. Im planning on a 2x6 frame with 2x6 slats probably 16" on center. You may have issues long term with plywood delamination from moisture. The pile of 2x6's I have left from a deck I took down has influenced my design a bit tho. I don't think there is any justification for the added cost of plywood.
    Chuck-
    15x30 AG, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is AD Free and is funded solely by member support click here to help

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by CJadamec View Post
    I've got the same project planned for whenever spring manages to make its way to my area. Im planning on a 2x6 frame with 2x6 slats probably 16" on center. You may have issues long term with plywood delamination from moisture. The pile of 2x6's I have left from a deck I took down has influenced my design a bit tho. I don't think there is any justification for the added cost of plywood.
    That's pretty much how I built mine, all treated lumber.

I chose to top it with treated plywood, and painted it flat black. I wanted to reduce as much heat loss as possible from wind, as well as add to the heat by painting the rack deck black. I remove the solar panels & store them inside for winter, and wrap the whole rack with a tarp for winter.

IMG_9683.jpg
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

That's a nice looking solar set up! I agree that there will be some gains from blocking the wind from behind and painting the deck black. Pressure treated CDX plywood should hold up pretty well. I would actually use an opaque, black stain rather than paint. It is easier to recoat in a few years than paint is. Opaque stain is great for all outdoor wood projects.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Is there any heat retention benefit from spraying the PVC pipes black too?
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the feedback! I didn't consider the loss of heat due to wind. Storing them indoors is also a great idea.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    Is there any heat retention benefit from spraying the PVC pipes black too?
    It probably would help a little. I doubt it would be noticeable tho.
    Lagoon 42x31x20 steel vinyl 25000gal, Easytouch 4, IC60, Intelliflo 2VST, FlowVis meter, CC520, 480sqf Aquatherm Solar collectors, Dolphin A20 cleaner.

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes, I think that pvc pipes would absorb a fair amount more heat than white pvc would reflect.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

I am ready to build some type of rack for solar panels. I had laid them on the ground, but they got damaged within a week. My pool was much warmer even though they were facing north. I have seen some that were made using pvc rather than wood. Wondering if that is study enough? I am planning on bringing the panels in for the winter. Does anyone have plans or pictures that they are willing to share. Looking for something that I can easily build and not too expensive for materials.
    +/- 13,500 gal. 24ft round above ground, Clear Water II cartridge filter. 1 Hp motor, summer of 2014, Taylor K2006 test kit, Connecticut

9. Back To Top    #9

You would need a lot of fittings and pipe to make a frame with enough support for the panels. Not that it can't be done but it probably won't be that much cheaper than a wooden frame. I just finished getting my panels mounted and it looks a lot like the ones that dom did just maybe not as neatly done. Surface temp of that plywood gets HOT in the full sun I've seen it up over 160F. I'm really impressed with how much heat those panels put into the pool.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chuck-

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by CJadamec View Post
    Surface temp of that plywood gets HOT in the full sun I've seen it up over 160F.
    That means that it is not conducting to the panels very well. If it was conducting to the panels it would be just as cool as the panels. Wood is a terrible conductor of heat so most likely it is not adding much heat to the panels and most is being radiated away. Now if the surface was a metal, then it would probably conduct much better, be cooler and add to the panel heat.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

11. Back To Top    #11

Wasn't really expecting the wood to conduct heat into the panels much the same as an asphalt shingle will have about the same conductive properties if installed on a roof. The surface of the panels themselves is not much warmer than the pool water.

Not sure you get any significant conductive gains by adding a layer of metal to grab the heat in the space between the panels.
    Chuck-