Pool depth and details suggestions wanted

Apearl

Mar 15, 2017
ON
Hi everyone!
I am new here and have been reading numerous posts on pool depths for the last week but I am still not 100% sure on what pool depths to go with...initially it was 3' to 8' L vinyl shaped 16x36 for the main part being the left side of the L with the deep 8 foot end at the top. At the base of the L the depth would be 4 feet measuring 26 feet across with the sticking out part being 10 feet out and 3 feet deep. Spill over spa in the bend of the L. In looking at the depth and slope drawing from our PB I realized that a large part of the left side of the L would be slope and deep while the shallow base of the L would be smaller than I was imagining as the 10x10 stick out of the L is quite small. I was hoping the shallow base part of the L would work for volleyball but I don't think it will because 1. It is on the shorter side at 26 feet long, 2. The far right part is only 10 feet wide and 3. One side of the net has nothing to attach to across the pool.
So we have thought about changing the depths to 4,5,4 coming down the L and then 3 in the stick out base part of the L with steps built right in.
We have 3 kids who will be almost 1, 3 and 6 when the pool is installed in a few months.
My question is will the 3 foot area be a waste? I think for now it will get used because the kids are so young but looking down the road would 3.5' feet be better? Or a sun shelf? What about benches? I have read so much about them and how much they are used, but where would I put them based on my configuration? Also will I regret not going with a deep end down the road when my kids are older? I have 2 boys and 1 girl who is in the middle. My husband and I are not divers ....he is a swimmer while I am a floater/lounger and really only like to go in to cool off and play with the kids. We both love volleyball and basketball as well as entertaining and plan to have lots of guests with their kids.
I realize my post is loaded with questions and any input would be much appreciated. I can't wait to decide on all these details, get the pool built and swim come June ????
I do have a birds eye sketch of the pool that I will try to post to help explain the above.
Thanks so much in advance!

Ideal situation- Get a large sun shelf, make the shallow end 3.5' (water depth, not pool depth) and keep that deep end!!! Kids learn to float, dive and swim in the deep ends too, as well as adults. I love floating in the water perched on some pool noodles with my legs hanging down in the deep water not touching the bottom.

I think folks sometimes overdo the benches all over the place when they also have a sun shelf and steps and yet more benches. I think if you go overboard on them they may actually get in the way of jumping in- gotta make sure you pass them safely.

Deeper is safer in my opinion because people love to dive into a pool and you know its deep enough to handle it. My pool is only 6' deep (a regret!) and I am tired of having to warn folks to not dive in.

Yippee :flower:

Ideal situation- Get a large sun shelf, make the shallow end 3.5' (water depth, not pool depth) and keep that deep end!!! Kids learn to float, dive and swim in the deep ends too, as well as adults. I love floating in the water perched on some pool noodles with my legs hanging down in the deep water not touching the bottom.

I think folks sometimes overdo the benches all over the place when they also have a sun shelf and steps and yet more benches. I think if you go overboard on them they may actually get in the way of jumping in- gotta make sure you pass them safely.

Deeper is safer in my opinion because people love to dive into a pool and you know its deep enough to handle it. My pool is only 6' deep (a regret!) and I am tired of having to warn folks to not dive in.

Yippee :flower:

Thanks for your feedback Yippee ?
So funny thing is that I have never heard of these sun shelfs until coming here and reading about them last week. Sure I have seen them at resorts in the Caribbean but I didn't realize how popular they are in residential pools. Perhaps they are a southern/warmer year round climate thing? I am in Canada just outside of Toronto. Our swimming season is pretty short here....at best May to September.....I really like them but my husband thinks it would be wasted space .....decisions decisions ?
Thanks again!!

I don't have such a set up so I'm not sure, but if ON means Ontario I don't think you will want a spillover spa. You will really want to close the pool in the winter without rendering your spa useless.

Apearl, just bouncing between your threads. After seeing the picture of your yard, it looks like there is a steep slope from the right to the left (when looking back at the house). Is that right? And if so, what is the plan to address that in the design?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Brian - good eye....there is quite a bit of slope as you indicated. The plan is to bring up the cabana concrete floor a few feet by pouring extra concrete. Does that make sense? Should there be drawings for this drafted up or is it possible that as they dig they will be checking for elevation/grade as well as ensuring future drainage goes the right way? Plan is also to add aScreenshot_2017-03-15-00-07-45-1.jpg strip drain between the pool and cabana to take water north (away from the house)...to the right hand side as per the attached picture.

I can't answer if there should be plans or not. So the concrete patio to the bottom of your picture will be raised up a few feet above the grass/soil or neighbors yard? Or is the slope only to the bottom right of the pic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I should have asked if you had drainage drawings done, not if I need them....just wondering if they are typically done. Our PB appears rather knowledgeable and experienced, so thus far we havent asked for drainage drawings but I will ask if he thinks it's necessay. I get the impression when they dig they will survey the land for elevation to get their slopes.

Attached is a picture taken from inside the house. There is a significant slope to the neighbour towards the side....more so than towards the back...which appears more gradual. We are planning to install an armour wall retaining wall.

In the picture you can see the layout of the pool outlined with the brown deck boards as well as existing sub base of deck (we are keeping but removing the white pillars). Part of the existing stairs can also be seen to the right in the picture. Property line is at the base of the slope....brown shed belongs to neighboScreenshot_2017-03-21-09-34-14.jpgr.

Thanks for chatting with me :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.