Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Tips for painting pool deck

1. Back To Top    #1

Tips for painting pool deck

Our pool is just a year old and we need to repaint the deck. Any suggestions from experienced painters? Brands that hold up well? Anything that would help us first time painters would be appreciated.

Pool completed 3/21/2016
    8800 gallons, plaster 14' x 24', 3/4 hp Hayward pump, Hayward cartridge filter, Blue Essence t-9 SWG, Kreepy Krauly Kruiser, Taylor K-2006 test kit with Speedstir, Taylor K-1766 salt test and 250 sq. ft. of Heliocol solar panels with Pentair Solartouch control system

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Tips for painting pool deck

Great question, I'm looking into doing the same thing within the next couple of weeks. From what I've read Behr porch and patio paint seems to be decent, has good reviews at least. Subscribing to thread.
    31x22 FF IG, 16k gallon , 3.5-5.5-4.5, Hayward 425 cartridge, Tristar variable speed, Aqua Rite AQ15 SWG, HPC 4 wireless controller, LED, Texas Grey pebble finish, Taylor K 2006 and 1766,speedstir ,New build in central Texas....

3. Back To Top    #3

And as we live in Florida we need a "kool deck" product.

Pool completed 3/21/2016
    8800 gallons, plaster 14' x 24', 3/4 hp Hayward pump, Hayward cartridge filter, Blue Essence t-9 SWG, Kreepy Krauly Kruiser, Taylor K-2006 test kit with Speedstir, Taylor K-1766 salt test and 250 sq. ft. of Heliocol solar panels with Pentair Solartouch control system

4. Back To Top    #4

I've held off doing anything with my deck, I have a mid-1980's kool-deck which is showing its age. When we re-plastered, we decided not to go with flagstone pavers because of the additional cost. I'm curious to see what people are doing with their decks.
    15K Gal Gunite Pool, White Pebble Surface (unkown), Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump, SunTouch automation, sta-rite plm100 filter, Hayward AquaRite AQR-15 SWG.

5. Back To Top    #5

My pool deck was done with kool deck several years ago before we moved in. I looked into many different options on paint from all over. I decided to buy the pool deck paint from home depot. Its been down for about a year now and its holding up well. I pressure washed the surface before and let dry for 2 days before I applied the paint. I just used a paint brush to do the trim and a paint roller on a handle to do the deck. It was 5 gallons for about 130.00 but you have to order it as they don't carry it in the store. Hope that helps.
    I live in Arlington TX. It is a in ground plaster pool approx 25,000 gallons. It has a Nautilus NS DE filter with a 1 1/2 hp starite pump. It has a pool cleaner brand suction style pool cleaner. TF-100 test kit.

6. Back To Top    #6

Great info. Thanks. How long did you let it dry before walking on it or putting furniture back on it?

Pool completed 3/21/2016

7. Back To Top    #7

I painted it on the hottest of all days last summer. It was 107 in the shade. It was dry enough to walk on within two hours and I put alll the pool furniture back on about four hours later. We had about a ten minute unexpected rain shower about six hours after I painted and it didn't hurt it at all. The paint i used was bought from home depot delivered to my door. Its a lighter color called Bombay low sheen waterborne acrylic stain. I plan to pressure wash and apply a second coat later in the year as I put it on kind of thin in spots, but it has held up well..
    I live in Arlington TX. It is a in ground plaster pool approx 25,000 gallons. It has a Nautilus NS DE filter with a 1 1/2 hp starite pump. It has a pool cleaner brand suction style pool cleaner. TF-100 test kit.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by carlbob View Post
    I painted it on the hottest of all days last summer. It was 107 in the shade. It was dry enough to walk on within two hours and I put alll the pool furniture back on about four hours later. We had about a ten minute unexpected rain shower about six hours after I painted and it didn't hurt it at all. The paint i used was bought from home depot delivered to my door. Its a lighter color called Bombay low sheen waterborne acrylic stain. I plan to pressure wash and apply a second coat later in the year as I put it on kind of thin in spots, but it has held up well..
    Thanks for the info, do you happen to have a pic of your painted deck, curious about the color?
    31x22 FF IG, 16k gallon , 3.5-5.5-4.5, Hayward 425 cartridge, Tristar variable speed, Aqua Rite AQ15 SWG, HPC 4 wireless controller, LED, Texas Grey pebble finish, Taylor K 2006 and 1766,speedstir ,New build in central Texas....

9. Back To Top    #9

Consider this?
    Home - Sundek Concrete Coatings and Concrete Repair
    i have a friend that did it. WOW !
    Cal C.

20k ig vl, hayward 2sp Tristar, hayward pro series sand filter, ecommand 4 with aqua connect, hayward heat pump, polaris 280 cleaner, TF-100.

10. Back To Top    #10

Our concrete guy suggested Olympic Rescue It! Max. It is a Resurfacer, Primer and Sealant. Fine sand like texture. No special roller needed, just a medium knap.
    Also, rust-oleum Deck and Concrete Restore Advanced Resurfacer. It has a very thick finish/texture. Fills cracks and gaps and requires a roller made by Rust-Oleum specific to the product.
    Both can be found a Lowes. There is a free brochure with several colors to choose from.
    We chose the Olympic and will be painting in the next few weeks.
    Pool Built June 2018,
    16x32, 20K, IG vinyl,
    2 speed Jandy Pro Plus Pump, Jandy JS Sand Filter, Jandy Tru-Clear SWG,
    JANDY JXI POOL HEATER/260K BTU, Polaris 280 + Booster, TF 100 Test Kit