Omg! Pool Motor has a big hole and large leak!

Jul 13, 2012
image (1).jpg
image (2).jpg

My pool pump started making an insanely loud noise and I went back there and found that there is a very big leak coming out of the bottom of the pool motor and the pool motor completely rusted through. I guess I did not do a good job of maintaining it and have barely looked at it since the summer. What needs to be replaced besides the motor?

This is the exact motor that is on there:

A.O. Smith 1 HP Round Flange Up Rate Motor - UST1102 - INYOPools.com

The actual pump

https://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SP3010X15AZ-Super-2-Horsepower-Market/dp/B002689H7Q

Looks like motor was already replaced perviously.

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/hayward-sp3010x15az-super-energy-efficient-max-rated-single-speed-parts-c-146775_146776_146821.html

You will have to replace the seal when you replace the motor anyway. Take the pump apart and see if there are any cracks on the wet end and make sure the impeller is in good shape. If the wet end is good then order a new motor and seal and you should be good to go.

To be honest, I would take the pump apart before I order the new motor. On the last motor I replaced the long, thin bolts that hold the wet end to the pump sheared off. Between my old pumps and my bil's old pump we were able to get enough parts to rebuild the wet end. If your bolts shear off like mine did you will have to replace the wet end as well, and you would be better off buying a new pump. If you look around online you may be able to find some good deals.

The bad seal allowed water to leak into the motor causing the big hole but also causing the bearings to rust. I believe that is what you are hearing.

Do you have a strap wrench for the impeller? Sometimes they can be very stubborn and require a lot of leverage.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.