Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Valve Automation Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Valve Automation Question

Im looking at automating two valves. One Jandy 3-way which diverts water to solar and the second on the return line. Ive found most pool places want to see a very expensive control panel to automate the valves actuators. I read on Amazon from a few reviews that people have simply used an irrigation timer (for sprinklers) like a rainbird to automate the function and save hundreds. Has anyone done this? Doesnt seem to far fetched as the irrigation timer tells the valve on or off, which would open and close the valve.

Thanks!
    15k salt water pool. Pentair Clean and Clear 420 filter, Pentair Superflo (342001), smart pool sunheater pool solar heater, Hayward AquaRite SWG T15. Doheny Discover Robotic Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Valve Automation Question

Actuators commonly used on pool valves have 3 wires going to them. One wire is common, and one of the remaining 2 wires has 24 VAC. When turning in the opposite direction, power is removed from one wire and applied on the other wire.

Therefore, to automate the actuator you will need a 24 VAC power source, and a switch to apply power to one or the other power leads to the actuator.
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks gary3000. I believe I could wire it as timer 1=valve open, timer 2= valve closed. Most timers are 24VAC I believe.
    15k salt water pool. Pentair Clean and Clear 420 filter, Pentair Superflo (342001), smart pool sunheater pool solar heater, Hayward AquaRite SWG T15. Doheny Discover Robotic Cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

That would work. Just be sure that your timer 1 and timer 2 would never be on at the same time. Connect your timers common wire to the black common wire to the actuator.
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thats what I thought too. Figure give a 1min delay for on/off on both actuators. Figured I would go down to Home Depot and buy a irrigation panel and test it out. If it works Ill put it up here with pics, just didnt know if someone else has gone this route.