Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Options for Light Bulb Replacement (in niche)

1. Back To Top    #1

Options for Light Bulb Replacement (in niche)

My pool had been leaking - and I believe it was coming from light. I finally drained down to it and went to work this weekend. Sure enough, the seal in the niche was bad.

Now it is time to put it all back together. I recently replaced all of my home lights with LED bulbs, so I'm thinking I should do the same with the pool light before I put it back in. That brings me to my question...

Any recommendations on what bulb to put in? I have a Hayward SP0583SL30 light housing.

I was thinking about getting a color changing light bulb, so I searched Amazon. I was quite surprised by how high true cost is...

P&LED (120V,35W) Color Changing Replacement Swimming Pool Lights Bulb LED PAR56 Light (switch control + remote control type) For Pentair Hayward Light Fixture,and For Inground Pool ,E27/E26 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JOFE4EO..._vbfTyb0Y1KJME

Why not just use a generic BR40 LED bulb that costs <$10?

Can anyone explain why the difference and should I really spend the money on a "pool" bulb?

Thank you!!!

30k IG vinyl w steps , Pentair SuperFlo 342001 pump, StaRite Cristal-Flo sand filter T-240-BP1
    Hayward Goldline AQR15 SWG, Dolphin Premium (aka S300i) Robot
    Borates & TF100 test kit
    200 gal hot tub (that I completely rebuilt)

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Options for Light Bulb Replacement (in niche)

You may not be happy with the BR40 the highest lumens I could find is 1100 the pool LED bulb is about 3X that, and that is likely still less than the incandescent you are replacing. Some might disagree with me but if you only use the light a few times a year I would stay with the incandescent. You are likely spending $0.09 an hour to run the light so if your usage is say 30 hours a year that is just a couple bucks. On the other hand if you use the light as part of the landscape light then by all means go LED.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!