Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should I raise my Alkalinity?

1. Back To Top    #1

Should I raise my Alkalinity?

It's a new pool and I have to add acid every day or every other day to lower the Ph. My alkalinity has now gone down to 50. My ph is currently 7.8, I added acid yesterday. Should I add baking soda and/or acid today? I'm not sure how to handle this since the baking soda will make my Ph go up. Also it's a SWG but we have been using bleach since it's too cold for the salt to generate chlorine. Do I still follow the SWG water level guidelines or do I follow the bleach?
    Pool completed December 2016, Pebble Tec, ~14k gallons, SWG, Jandy Pro-Series variable speed pump, cartridge filter, heater, iAqua Link

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Should I raise my Alkalinity?

I would hold off on raising TA. Between that new plaster pool and your SWG you are going to be fighting pH for a while. FWIW baking soda is virtually pH neutral. Use the non-SWG numbers until you can use your SWG.
    32K gallon Plaster - CircuPool SJ-55 SWG - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL/K-1766
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart - Support TFP

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you. If the TA keeps dropping, at what number would you add baking soda?
    Pool completed December 2016, Pebble Tec, ~14k gallons, SWG, Jandy Pro-Series variable speed pump, cartridge filter, heater, iAqua Link

4. Back To Top    #4

There isn't a magic number for that even though we do have a suggested TA range. Its dependant on other things such as CH, but don't assume you'll be needing to adjust. Your pH rise should be quite slow at that TA level, and you may have all the TA you need in your makeup water. Let it sit and see what it does pH wise. It might hover there and be ok, depending on what your other numbers are. Can you give us a full fresh set of numbers please? Also, BS will only elevate your pH a tiny little if it is fairly low, say 7.2 or less.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok I just did the TF test kit:
    FC 2.5
    CC 0
    CH 300
    TA 100 (i also re-did the test again using the kit from our builder that I used this morning, it was 60)
    CYA 60

I retested the Ph with the little kit that came with the TF kit. It shows closer to 7.5

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Your FC is way too low for your CYA. That is more important than anything.

But to address the TA discrepancy, the next time you do that test, wipe the R-009 bottle tip between drops and see if you get a smaller number.
    32K gallon Plaster - CircuPool SJ-55 SWG - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL/K-1766

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok I've added bleach to go up to 5 and we will see from there. It's odd, I did wipe while using the TF kit since that's what directions said.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and my CYA is 60 because I originally raised it to 70 since I was following the SWG guidelines.

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Not to belabor a point, but 5 is the absolute lowest you should get to with a CYA of 60 without your SWG running. Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart The target it 7-9.

TA is fine tuning, don't worry about it until pH is acting really weird. With a fresh plaster pH is just going to go up for a while. You will be adding a lot of acid, especially when the SWG gets turned on.

9. Back To Top    #9

I was adding 50oz to get to 5 so I figured I would start there and then re-test and bring it up more.

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Always a good plan

11. Back To Top    #11

I've added more bleach to get it up to 8. Since my level needs to be above 5, I can't use that yellow drop test. So do I use the powder test that's in the TF kit every day?

12. Back To Top    #12

If you have something going on you can...or every other day or two until you are able to predict what it will be with high accuracy. After a time you will have a feel for it, and wont need to test with that one daily. You will learn what your pool does in all weather and circumstances, so by that point a few times a week is usually more than enough for most pool owners.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

13. Back To Top    #13

I tested Alkalinty again today. Using the PB test, 60. Using TF test, 110. I don't get it.

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by beachcozy View Post
    I tested Alkalinty again today. Using the PB test, 60. Using TF test, 110. I don't get it.
    Trust the TF-100.

What is this "PB Test"?
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

What is the pb test? Strips?

It kind of doesn't matter anyway. If you are trying to lower TA to reduce rising pH, there is one course of action to accomplish both, acid! TA is not that important unless it is very low or very high. I would recommend managing pH and only testing TA (with the Taylor drop test that came with your TF100 kit) once every couple of weeks or so and not worrying about it too much.

16. Back To Top    #16

The Taylor based drop tests included in the TF-100 is the most accurate pool test available, trust it. We do.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

17. Back To Top    #17

image.jpg
    It's like the TF test, you add 2 drops of a clear and the 5 drops of green.

18. Back To Top    #18

I would trust the Taylor based TF-100 kit rather than trust the kit from China. There's no telling what, if any standards they hold their reagents too, but those made by Taylor are held to very strict ones. You'll make yourself crazy trying to compare the differences.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links: