Hello from SE PA

Hi,

I am new to the forum as a registered user, but have read it before & have learned a lot. We had a 27 foot round pool for 18 years (19 seasons) before the liner sprung a leak last August. We decided to remove the pool, as we never used it enough & always found the size cumbersome. The solar cover was the main culprit over the years. My husband always said he couldn't wait to get rid of it, but now we are considering putting up a smaller pool either 18 or 15 foot round. We are early 60s with one son living at home currently and another son & girlfriend living close by. In the last few years I have used the pool a bit more, as I learned I could fold & roll the solar cover so that I has 3/4 of a pool to swim in. We mainly go in 1-2 at a time & float or jog around in it. Through the 19 seasons we rarely had a lot of problems keeping the pool clean & clear. Started out with a Nature 2 cartridge & finally gave it up several years ago. Have a 1HP Hayward Matrix pump & a Proline DE filter that is made by Jacuzzi. The pump is about 4 years old & the filter a bit older. Pool was bought at Namco before they left the area. I want an 18 foot pool husband is leaning toward a 15. We plan to buy the pool & liner only for this year. I saw Pool Factory recommended, but have found pools cheaper elsewhere.
The previous pool had a 6 or 7 inch top rail & about 5 inch uprights. The metal was in excellent condition when removed with only one minor rust spot at the intake pipe from a previous leak. We maintained the pool with test strips, but I am looking forward to a better method this time. We use a Barracuda Ranger self cleaner that we love. I really just want to know what to look for in a quality, but not top of the line pool! Thanks!