Help with dirt stains in plaster

Nov 2, 2016
St George/Ut
First of all let me say thanks for the countless hours of help and information I have received reading TFP. I have a great Taylor Test kit and have been maintaining my pool thanks to this forum. I am told my pool water feels great and I don't get irritated eyes so I am feeling okay about it.

One issue I can't seem to find an exact solution to is red dirt stains. I live in Southern Utah and we have red dirt. We had a wind storm this winter and some of our abundant red dirt blew into the pool. Since we weren't using the pool right away it stayed there for 4-5 days until my cleaning day. I swept off the shamu shelf and it was stained by the dirt. I assume I can sand if off with sand paper but I am just looking for some ideas. My pool is 5 months old. Blue plaster.
FC - 5
PH - 7.4
Alk - 100

That is all I tested for the post but can test more if needed.

Thanks and sorry if this topic has been covered but I was unable to find red dirt stain solutions.

Welcome to TFP!

It really depends what is in the dirt. It is likely an organic stain and I would start with that assumption. Raise FC level up to shock level for your CYA, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA], and brush daily for a week or so to see if that clears it up.

More about stains here, Pool School - Stains in Your Pool

A good pool robot with fine filters running daily will help to avoid the problem in the future. The Doheny's Discovery robot comes with fine pleated filters and does a great job. More about that in this thread, First Robotic Cleaner, Doheny's Discovery

You can add your pool info to your signature so we can better help you. More here about what to add and how to do it, Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

You can go either way on that. I tend to prefer not to mess with settings on my SWG until I have to so I usually just leave it running as is and add bleach to raise FC as needed.

+1 what pooldv said.

Please read "The "ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. Particularly understanding the importance of CYA. It's what determines your FC level.

Post up that CYA test and a CH test to give us a better idea of your water chemistry.

Thank you.

I will reread it and try to retain more of it.

CYA - 35
CH - 450

I bought 25lbs of Cyanuric acid and am going to add it once it gets a little warmer

I was going to go to 60

I have a 28000 gallon pool with lots of waterfalls etc and a pentair SWG

I will add my info line right away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what I understand CYA is more easily added than removed, correct? Doesn't dissolve quickly in cold water.

I'm slowly working my CYA up slow to 40 but it's very gradual. 25 lbs seems like a lot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.