Lounge Chairs vs Deep Seating vs Dinning Set

Jan 15, 2017
Oxford,MI
Construction hasn't even started yet but I can't stop thinking about what type of furniture I should get :D. Not so much the "brand" but more the type: lounge chairs vs deep seating/conversation set vs dinning set. I am planning on having fiends/neighbors over on a regular basis, probably 6-8 adults on average. I'm thinking I should probably do a combination of 2 of the 3 (lounge vs conversation vs dinning) but need some input. What is best for entertaining??? Am I overthinking it?? Thank you in advance!!

I think it would depend on the type of person you are :) I love lounging and my hubby doesn't so we have a 4 chair patio table and 2 lounge chairs plus some of the portable cloth folding chairs (like we take to kids ball games)....

We have an average of 7-10 people on the weekend during summer and seems to work for everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had our pool installed this year. We initially purchased 4 loungers (below) and 4 nice seat (padded, covered with sumbrella fabric). The comfy seating "seems" to be used the most, but part of that is because we are older (late 50s) and don't lounge in the sun much anymore. When we have our kids/grandkids and younger families over, the loungers are used more. Loungers are great to lay in, read and relax. The "comfy" chairs are best when you want to sit and talk with others. The loungers are nice in that they are commercial grade (heavier and stackable).

Attachments

• loungers.jpg
    loungers.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 381
If the area surrounding the pool accommodates it, I personally like having a dining set area, a lounge chair area, and a couch-fireplace area. Its nice to mix it up...as you might guess, in summer, I use every nook of my pool area footprint ;)

Eg lounging in afternoon, dining at sundown, fireside drinks in the dark...

I agree with the above. When I was designing my pool and patio area I laid out what seating I wanted and where to ensure the concrete patio would accommodate it all. Went online to find general dimensions of each item. 2 lounge chairs with a table (used the most and sun facing), a 4 person dining table with umbrella (nice to have when hot or eating outside and placing items), and 2 lounge chairs around a propane fire pit. I also ensured I placed my grill and smoker on the layout so it too has a home on the patio with enough walking space around everything. Have fun!

This coming summer will be our first full summer with the pool. I'm sticking with what we have for now to see how we use the patio. I have 2 patio dining sets on the pool deck and a loveseat and 2 chairs on the deck. One table seats 6 and the other 4. I also have a combined total of 10 zero gravity chairs (4 reside in our detached firepit area right now) which are very comfortable and allow you to recline. I don't see myself using a lounger, but I may consider a deep comfy lounger with a built in canopy at some point. Basically, I've been known to jump the gun and buy things then try to figure out what to do with the items. This time, I'm stepping back and living with it for awhile to determine what we want based on how we use the pool deck.

This coming summer will be our first full summer with the pool. I'm sticking with what we have for now to see how we use the patio. I have 2 patio dining sets on the pool deck and a loveseat and 2 chairs on the deck. One table seats 6 and the other 4. I also have a combined total of 10 zero gravity chairs guide (4 reside in our detached firepit area right now) which are very comfortable and allow you to recline. I don't see myself using a lounger, but I may consider a deep comfy lounger with a built in canopy at some point. Basically, I've been known to jump the gun and buy things then try to figure out what to do with the items. This time, I'm stepping back and living with it for awhile to determine what we want based on how we use the pool deck.
What is best for entertaining???

I have dining and chaise but no deep seating. I also don't want to deal with cushions. That said, deep is super comfortable. I also don't have room for all three types down by the pool with our layout and wanting plenty of open deck space too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.