Two for one: Soft Grout and Scale

So, approaching nearly a year of pool ownership, we are seeing some not-so-nice things happening in our pool. Being indoors, the chemistry has been really easy to keep in line, so we're hoping we can keep things under control.

Background: We purchased the home in early 2016, it had been acid washed and re-grouted in 2015 (so we were told). It is a beautiful pool in great condition.

20200 gallon INDOOR pool
FC: 3 (range 2.5 to 3.5 is where we keep it)
CC: 0
pH: 7.4
CYA: ~10 (too low to measure, added to have some there, test is just barely cloudy)
CH: 300
TA: 250 (our fill water is very high TA)
CSI: 0.37 (this worries me)
Temperature: 80 to 82

We started noticing some scale, so I lowered the pH from 7.6 normally to 7.4. As you see, our fill water is really high TA, and this doesn't help us, especially as we are now chasing down a moderate leak (1/4 to 1/2 inch a day).

First issue: we started to see some scaling, so I put on a mask and flippers and started manually brushing the walls where there were scale spots. Some came off, some stuck. However, noticed a few lines in the grout (this is a mosaic tile pool) were discoloured on the bottom - kind of a yellow / brown colour. This came out easily with the regular pool brush when brushing in the direction of the line. This is where the second problem come in.

Second issue: using the regular soft bristled pool brush, the grout came out from between a few patches of tile (each area is 5 to 10 square inches, I'd say). The tiles are rigid and intact, but the grout brushed right out. When the pool was regrouted, I know they used epoxy grout - so I know this should not happen.

So, my questions:

- Would it be possible to lower my TA significantly WITHOUT aeration for the pH raising part of the process? It's indoors, and winter here, the humidity in the enclosure would be a disaster.
- What effect does high TA have in isolation? Our pH is rock solid, has been no higher than 7.6 and no lower than 7.4.
- Can I run at a lower pH (7.2, or even a little closer to 7.0)? I was under the impression that being on the scaling side (positive) of CSI would be better than negative for our type of pool, and aware of the risk of scaling.
- What could cause the soft grout? This worries us (but the pool shell seems to be intact - tried a dye test, didn't see anything in any of the missing grout spots. Suspecting a skimmer leak, will isolate that next).

I will post pictures of the missing grout - it's a chance to use my underwater camera.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Epoxy grout can be tricky, if not done correctly it will fail. All the research I have done when grouting showers, floors, etc has led me to decide not use it because the degree of difficulty seems too risky.

You can only lower TA so much before you can't add more acid. Having your pH below 7.2 for any length of time is not good. With your TA so high you will have to test ph often to avoid scale. You can monitor your CSI using PoolMath and keep it between -0.3 and 0. This will prevent scale.

On the plus side, every time you add acid to lower PH it will also lower TA then the pH will rise on its own and the TA will not. So, over time your TA will be lowered through the the frequent acid additions. Lower ph to 7.2 when it reaches 8.0.

More here, Pool School - Calcium Scaling

I have tended to lower the pH when it is two points above my target (so when I was shooting for 7.6, if it hit 7.8). Judging by pool math, I can achieve a CSI around 0.1 if I go down to 7.2 (I didn't account for the TA decrease that results there though).

The fill water TA is about 250 according to our utility, so I know that any time I top off, I'm pushing the TA back up.

So step 1 is keep pH between 7.2 and 7.4 then? I usually do pH changes in half steps as well, so I don't overshoot.

Since your CSI is still above 0 with pH at 7.2 you will get more bang for your buck lowering your TA if you lower your pH to 7.0 and let it rise back to 7.6-7.8. Do it all in one shot for max TA lowering. If you overshoot a bit it is OK because with your TA so high the pH will bounce back quickly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.