Just realized my AG pool cover has holes in it.. Need some advice please!!

tbird2340

Jun 3, 2014
Youngstown, OH
I live in Ohio and so the pool has been closed for months.. We got inches of rain yesterday and my wife tells me she thinks the cover looks higher.. I get home from work and sure enough it is.. It's over the skimmer.. The high is barely above freezing until Monday according to the weather..

Other than get a new pool cover, what should I do here? How serious is this?

I installed PVC lines with shutoffs in both the skimmer and return lines.. My sand filter is still out there, as is my heater, but my pump I take in the shed..

Thanks for any advice..

I live in Ohio and so the pool has been closed for months.. We got inches of rain yesterday and my wife tells me she thinks the cover looks higher.. I get home from work and sure enough it is.. It's over the skimmer.. The high is barely above freezing until Monday according to the weather..

Other than get a new pool cover, what should I do here? How serious is this?

I installed PVC lines with shutoffs in both the skimmer and return lines.. My sand filter is still out there, as is my heater, but my pump I take in the shed..

Thanks for any advice..
Is the cover over the skimmer, or is the water level over the skimmer?

Is there water on the cover? As water collects on top of my pool cover, it displaces the pool water underneath the cover, causing the water level to rise. My cover does not have any holes in it.

Do you own a cover pump or submersible pump? you can always pump out some water from the cover/pool.

If the water is allowed to collect inside the skimmer and freeze you will risk cracking it.

Is the cover over the skimmer, or is the water level over the skimmer?

Is there water on the cover? As water collects on top of my pool cover, it displaces the pool water underneath the cover, causing the water level to rise. My cover does not have any holes in it.

Do you own a cover pump or submersible pump? you can always pump out some water from the cover/pool.

If the water is allowed to collect inside the skimmer and freeze you will risk cracking it.

The water is 100% over the skimmer.. This is embarrassing to even admit..... When I got the winter cover out to put on when closing I saw there were holes in it from a mouse.. I stupidly just covered them with duct tape not even thinking that when water sits on it, it will obviously get in.. Sigh..

So yea, I have a submersible pump but the problem is the water is still frozen / very close to frozen.. If it's not completely frozen, would you take the cover off, get a new cover, try to get the level back below the skimmer, and then recover?

If the water's frozen I just need to wait until it thaws a bit?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.