Jandy Watercolors LED lights - gone dim

Aug 19, 2014
Redding CA
I am troubleshooting my two Large Jandy Watercolors lights. They are 120V. They were about $1000 for the two and I installed them myself - Sept 2014. I used them infrequently, had the whole summer of 2015 with no problems (20 hours of use - maybe).

In June of 2016 both of the lights started dimming about the same time. Our electrical supply is clean and consistent. I checked all the wiring from the breaker box/controller to the lights since this was happening together - no problems were discovered. 120V everywhere. I pulled the lights to the surface. There was slight condensation behind the glass lens - the lights had never been opened. I opened the cases. I checked the voltage to the light engine - 120V. I reprogrammed my pool equipment controller (iAqualink RS) to be on or off (no color switching) and there was a faint dim light coming from the LEDs - impossible to see unless it was dark.

These lights are promoted as having a 50,000 hour lifetime. I would not have spent $500/light if they didn't last "forever". I called Jandy - they stood behind their one year warranty, thus avoiding responsibility.

I gave the light engines to an electronics repair aficionado friend - he could not find anything wrong with them to explain the dim behavior - the components all looked fine and tested ok as far as he could test with a multimeter and oscilloscope.

Today I bench tested them. One gave me a dim glow on a number of the LEDs. The other was dim but surprisingly seemed to dimly go through the color sequences when I toggled the power to the blade connectors on the light engine. I shot a video of the light colors and pattern as I toggled through the sequence.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fq7s0dXOU5I?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jandy LED Watercolors light test - YouTube

Perhaps someone can shed a light on what can be done to make these lights usable. Everything but one part/component may be just fine.

Last edited:
2/21/17 Update. I now have a replacement light engine which was as bright as day when I bench tested it. I removed some of the white silicone that seals some components to the older light engine board in order to further check for corrosion and evidence of failure. I can not see any. I have sent RENCO an Email asking for specifications on the 026013A-1 transformer. When I checked voltages on various legs of the transformer (there are 11) the lights changed brightness. The replacement light engine has some subtle differences. 1- the component close to the line in spades which appears to be another transformer is different. 2- there is a small capacitor bridging two of the 5 jumper pads which are seen below the LED diffuser. 3- there are different numbers on the otherwise identical RENCO transformer "1335" on both old units and "644" on the new one. The new board is labeled "Firmware Rev 1.0.0" just like the two - 2 and 1/2 year old originals.

View attachment 57260

I was curious if you ever received the specs 026013a-1 from Renco?

Renco never got back to me. Today I managed to take the dim light and power it up and in the process of checking voltage on the legs of the transformer I caused a short and now the light does not glow at all. Duh. Finding and swapping out the transformers is a bit of a long shot for fixing this it seems - now that the pool is warming up I would like to get a light in there. Maybe retrofit with this: LED Retrofit

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.