Uses for an ORP meter?

Isaac-1

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 10, 2010
SW Louisiana
Ok guys, I have a question for the pool chemistry experts out there, I have unexpectedly acquired a handheld ORP meter Specifically a Myron L company Ultrameter II model 6p and I am wondering if I should sell it on ebay or would it be handy to have around / worth investing in a new sensor for pool testing keeping in mind I run my CYA at 20-30 ppm having an indoor pool and normally test with the TF-100?

Ike

p.s. when I say unexpectedly acquired it was just that, I bought a used motorhome a couple of months ago and yesterday while replacing the burned out license plate bulb I found this dust covered meter wedged in with the tire tool. I have no idea how long it was there, what some previous owner used it for, all I know is they sell used on ebay for about $300 and new for about $900

Wow! That's quite an ... odd... thing to find shoved in with the tire iron. But, I can certainly say that there have been those times when stuck on the side of the road with a flat when I've raised my fists to the sky and shouted, "Oh how I wish I had not left my MyronL at home..." .... ok, maybe not.... Consider yourself lucky as people will often hide contraband in places like that and you're much better off finding possible stolen property as opposed to a bag full full of meth or heroine...try explaining THAT ONE to the local pool store clerk!

Use it to correlate ORP with FC. At low CYA, you should be able to get a fairly stable signal out of it. You should purchase some ORP reference solutions so that you can calibrate the probe and know that you're getting a true signal out of it. Considering your pool is indoors, you won't have sunlight to deal with. Just try to keep a record of temperature, pH, FC and ORP. You might find an interesting correlation.

That was basically my thoughts, of course if you google uses of this model ORP meter it seems they are popular with people that grow certain high value hydroponic crops, which circles up back around to people hiding contraband. Until now the most interesting find was a work glove under the kitchen cabinets when I was fishing a control cable through for the new inverter (the old inverter used a 4 pin modular cable, the new one uses 6 pin even though they are both the same brand).

Ah yes, "hydroponics"....up until a few years ago it was just a fun little experiment to show HS kids the wonders of plant biology ... then those reefer-smoking HS kids all became politicians and lobbyists and, well, the rest is history...

Have fun with the probe (says every alien that visits planet Earth) ... and keep us posted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's every chance the the probe may need replacing. I have an ozoniser with an integrated ORP controller sitting in a cupboard that recommends replacing the probe every two years.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.