Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Navigator gets stuck on main drain

1. Back To Top    #1

Navigator gets stuck on main drain

My Navigator keeps getting stuck on my main drain, which is especially irritating since I have two main drains. Also, from time to time when the Navigator is going up the hill from the deep end to the shallow it just sort of flails away and rolls over. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    16 X 32 Vinyl. Hayward aqua rite salt system, T -15 cell. Hayward H250 gas heater, Hayward 1HP superpump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Navigator gets stuck on main drain

My navigator did the same thing. Ultimately what worked for me was replacing it with a "pool cleaner"
    18k gal inground, everbrite finish, 505 sq ft; 1.5 hp two speed whisperflow; rheem 5100ti 100k btu heat pump; 3 sheer descent falls; DE filter; swg (cell out and using trichlor for now)

3. Back To Top    #3

I had the same problem with my Navigator and 2 main drain covers. So I modified the drain covers with a 4" PVC cap that I cut down to make shorter, drilled a couple holes in the sides of the cap so I could zip tie the cap to the top of the cover. This makes a little dome on the top of the drain cover and prevents the Navigator from climbing on top of the drain.

My Navigator was also falling over when the suction hose went in front of a return jet. The water coming out of the return jet was pushing the hose and causing the Navigator to fall over. When I use the Navigator I aim the return jets at the ends of the pool and down a little. This helps keep the hose away from the return jets.
    Bob
    18,500 gal IG Vinyl pool, 300lb sand filter/1.5 hp pump, 925V Hayward Navigator Pool Cleaner,
    192 sq ft solar heat, TF-100 test kit, BBB for pool chemistry and love it.
    Our pool build slideshow http://s366.photobucket.com/albums/oo10 ... =slideshow

4. Back To Top    #4

I found an inexpensive and easy to install solution to this problem. I installed a "clip" onto my existing pool drain (no need to remove the drain). The clip prevents the Navigator from getting stuck on the drain.

The company is "Main Drain Clip-On". Website is http://www.maindrainclipon.com

The clip floats so if it gets dislodged (kicked off) from the drain cover, it is easy to retrieve (probably from the skimmer).

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by ksninew View Post
    I had the same problem with my Navigator and 2 main drain covers. So I modified the drain covers with a 4" PVC cap that I cut down to make shorter, drilled a couple holes in the sides of the cap so I could zip tie the cap to the top of the cover. This makes a little dome on the top of the drain cover and prevents the Navigator from climbing on top of the drain.

My Navigator was also falling over when the suction hose went in front of a return jet. The water coming out of the return jet was pushing the hose and causing the Navigator to fall over. When I use the Navigator I aim the return jets at the ends of the pool and down a little. This helps keep the hose away from the return jets.

What an awesome idea. After years of sitting dormant this post has brought the solution I need to my PoolCleaner getting stuck...

Thanks ksninew!!!!
    26k IG Vinyl, 2 HP single speed,24" Tagelus Sand, 1.5" pipe, 1 Main, 1 Skimmer, 2 jets, pool built 1983, new vinyl 2014, 36'x18', Deep End 8', The PoolCleaner 4X Suction.
    Pool Math #__# Pool School #__# Best Android App "Pool Pal" Track Your Levels!