Kreepy krawly filter question

May 21, 2014
Frisco, TX
18bff7737930a061ca32470b6c286415.jpg

Hoping someone can help me understand why all of a sudden the filter in my kreepy hose (where it goes into the pool wall) continually gets clogged with debris? Rarely have I had issues with this until recently, and now I have to clean this out DAILY to keep my kreepy moving.

Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Need to know more details about your pool (please fill out your signature line). There are actually several different types of Pentair "Kreepy Krawly" cleaners so, not knowing which one you have makes it kind of hard to help...

Do you use an inline leaf canister on the hose to catch debris?

Ah, ok, you have a pressure side cleaner. The Pentair Kreepy cleaner line comes in both pressure and suction side cleaner types. One would use a leaf canister on a suction type cleaner. The strainer you are showing is to catch debris from the return water that feeds your pressure cleaner so that nothing damages the internal gears of the cleaner.

You're going to need to supply a photo of your equipment pad showing the plumbing configuration that supplies water to the cleaner as well as if there is a booster pump or not. It would also be helpful to see the rest of the pad to know what type of filter you are using. Again, when you get a chance, please add all these details to your signature line. It helps the pros here to help you so that we don't have to go searching through threads trying to figure out what kind of equipment you have.

Not completely sure how accurate my signature line is. I'm new to this pool stuff, learning the best I can. Unfortunately my pool builder/ early on pool cleaner guy were not much help. :-(

22k gallon, IG Plaster, cartridge, VS pump, built 3/24/2016 (plastered twice) ,k-2006 test kit, SWG with spa, kreepy krawly cleaner

When was the last time you cleaned out your filter?

Your plumbing setup seems to be pretty standard with all Pentair equipment and the booster pump is pulling water from the return line path (good) and sending it to the cleaner. So technically you should be sending filtered water into your cleaner and the debris should be minimal. If your filter is really dirty and hasn't been cleaned in a while, you may be getting some junk in the return path which isn't good at all for the chlorinator or the heater. So you should tear down the filter and inspect the filter elements looking very carefully between the pleats for tears in the fabric. While you're at that you can also pull the salt cell and look inside it to make sure there's no debris trapped on the debris screen or lodged between the plates.

Ok. It actually wasn't that long ago that I cleaned the filter, but this problem did start about the same time. I'll break everything apart tomorrow morning and see what I can find. Thank you!

22k gallon, IG Plaster, cartridge, VS pump, built 3/24/2016 (plastered twice) ,k-2006 test kit, SWG with spa, kreepy krawly cleaner

Ok. It actually wasn't that long ago that I cleaned the filter, but this problem did start about the same time. I'll break everything apart tomorrow morning and see what I can find. Thank you!

Good luck. Very possible that something (cartridge, manifold, air bleed screen, etc) is not properly seated and allowing dirt to get through. Best to tackle these problems when you have a lot of time on your hands so you can take it slow and go over everything with a fine-toothed comb. I will be tearing down my filter one of these weekends (perhaps when it's a bit warmer) and I inform the family that they are to leave me alone on filter day...they hate it, but I can't be distracted when doing the work and I usually spend about 4 hours or so going nice and slow, checking everything twice, etc, etc...

I'll be off work tomorrow and the weather should be nice. Honestly, I did rush it last time, which is probably my issue!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So sure enough, two of my filters were not seated properly. My SWG was knarly with debris. Is there something I need to do to clean my heater?

So sure enough, two of my filters were not seated properly. My SWG was knarly with debris. Is there something I need to do to clean my heater?

Just use a garden hose spray to get the debris out from the SWG. As for the heater, it's probably OK as most of the water flows through a by-pass in the intake manifold. If there is any small debris in the heat exchanger tubes, it should simply work itself out over time. The only other way to get at it is a major disassembly of the heater to get access to the header block where the tubes connect to, so not really worth it unless you're seeing a problem with the heater.

Sounds good! I'm just over here praying that I've got them seated in there good now and that it solves my issue! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.