Home Automation and Integration with Alexa / Google Home

Veccster

Bronze Supporter
Aug 30, 2016
Pittsburgh PA
I don't see this discussed too much on here. Has anyone figured out how to tie their pool automation into their home automation?

"Alexa, turn on the slide".
"Alexa, set the water temperature to 82".
"Alexa, turn on landscape lights".
"Alexa, set patio lights to green".
"Alexa, set the pool lights to blue".

I was leaning toward Google Home but it's just too new and doesn't partner with many products. But Alexa does and there are many bridges and hubs available to make almost anything possible.

Has anyone done this with their outdoor space? The Philips Hue system would be great if you have a covered patio with lights. You can set the lights to any color and control them with your voice. Not too expensive either.

- - - Updated - - -

Yup....Pentair does it!

Amazon.com: Pentair ScreenLogic: Alexa Skills

Looks like I'll be changing my automation system from Jandy to Pentair.

NICE Find!!!

I'm still using the old RF EasyTouch remote for my Pentair system for which I receive tons of harassment from the TFP Pentair fanboy brigade (they know who they are!). But seeing that Alexa plays nice with ScreenLogic may just be the straw that breaks the camel's back and forces me to upgrade my automation.... Must. Resist. TEMPTATION.....

d3d68cb0324a51ff397c6a8f2301c7ac.jpg

That's right TFP Mods....BOOM!....Stupid Cat Meme's!!

I'm spending way too much time on Amazon today but am learning tons about automation and the things that are possible with Alexa. I may take the plunge!

Philips Hue and Alexa-enabled dimmers both look pretty cool. A bit more expensive is the Ecobee thermostat that is also controlled by Alexa. You can go all-out if you want and even get door locks. "Alexa, lock the front door".

Just be forewarned and read some reviews. Some of the apps and interfaces that go with that stuff make it seem like the whole idea of automation was just dreamed up last week.

look at a broader standard like zwave as well then tie that to Alexa

Zwave devices are typically wider ranging and cheaper.
I have about a dozen zwave devices so far and love building schedules and rules.

Since i have a jandy control I cant control my pool yet - hoping that jandy builds a skill for Iaqualink
Since it looks like high school kids can build skills and they already have an HTML interface it shouldnt take much ...

If they published an API I would look at it myself after seeing so many crazy one off skills in the "alexa store"

I just saw on the homepage of the Pentair website a nice big splash screen that shows you can access ScreenLogic controls using your Apple iWatch....pretty slick!

So I guess that means Alexa and Siri will get into a little fight for your attention...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm in the market for a new pool controller myself. I'm leaning towards the Pentair EasyTouch. However, I have been considering "building" my own controller with some of the new automation stuff out there. Lately I've been looking at the WeMo Maker. Looks like there's not a lot of information out there about how it really works and just a lot of people experimenting at this point. I'm ready for this technology to become easier to use :|

The line of Vera home automation controllers (z-wave, wifi, zigbee, bluetooth) interface with Alexa (so says latest firmware update). I really like my vera system - has lights, garage door, alarm system, thermostats all integrated now. Will probably integrate my home-built pool automation as well. Then will see about Alexa.

Not sure if you can change the startup phrase for Alexa, but hopefully you can. A local tv reporter was talking about how little girl ordered stuff via alexa, and it actually did it to multiple viewers as the Alexas heard him talking.

The line of Vera home automation controllers (z-wave, wifi, zigbee, bluetooth) interface with Alexa (so says latest firmware update). I really like my vera system - has lights, garage door, alarm system, thermostats all integrated now. Will probably integrate my home-built pool automation as well. Then will see about Alexa.

Not sure if you can change the startup phrase for Alexa, but hopefully you can. A local tv reporter was talking about how little girl ordered stuff via alexa, and it actually did it to multiple viewers as the Alexas heard him talking.

I saw that this morning. They said Alexa requires a confirmation to submit the order so the items were not purchased. We have five Alexa's and it does get annoying when you set the timer and then all five start going off. It hears even the softest voice.

What does your "home-built pool automation" consist of?

What does your "home-built pool automation" consist of?

Just started it. Got a raspberry pi and accessories for xmas. Will be connecting to my AutoPilot SWG via RS485 to read and control it and to control VSP (on/off/speed selections). Also will attach my LED lights. Will add sensor for my cover. Plan to replace my manual valves so I can replace them too. I may be adding the ORP/PH control to my system, and hopefully will be able to get those readings along with water temp, so I can track it all, send alerts, ...

Edit - Also will add some weather sensors - temperature, humidity, barometer, rain detector. Will have it control anti-freeze running of system, even though my AutoPilot can do that now.

i got a Google Home for Christmas. i know that it is early in its development but i am hoping that buy swim season they will have something out that i can use to turn on my pool. i read that within the next month the smart plugs will be out that work with Home. Then maybe i can tell Google to turn on that plug which will be what my pool pump goes to.

I just got an Echo/Alexa.

Having trouble getting the skill for the Pentair set up. I enter the name and brick ID, but it says the verification failed. I need to call Pentair and see what's up. I don't get home until 6:30 most nights and haven't had a chance to call them for a trouble shoot yet.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.