Pump selection for waterfall/bubbler (SuperFlo 1 HP?)

Foosman

Bronze Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Austin, TX
New pool build. I am looking at using a 1 HP SuperFlo pump (due to good price) to run 2 bubblers + 2 waterfall bowls/scuppers. I'm having a hard time with the head loss calculation and determining if this is a good pump for this application. Flow rate will be: bubblers 5-10 GPM each, waterfall bowls 10-15 GPM each for a total of 30-50 GPM. The pump curve for 50 GPM is around 50 ft of water (see curve G below). There will be no filter and the plumbing run of each pipe will be under 60'. The bubblers and waterfall bowls will be on at the same time. I'm not sure what to expect for the head loss for the 2 bubblers. Also, the waterfall bowls are just PVC pipes coming up thru the middle. I'll have valves to turn down the flow for the waterfall bowls, so I expect there will be losses due to valves being partially closed. Looking for advice if this pump is a good option. Also, do I need to be concerned with too low a head loss and should I plan a plumbing path (not sure on the terminology) to prevent cavitation and dump water. The pump curve shows 85 GPM @ 20 ft of water.

SuperFloHiPressCurves.jpg

Maybe you could use a variable speed pump for your main pump and then use a valve to divert return water to the pool to the features.

If you want a separate pump, there are multiple water feature pumps available. Check Jandy, Hayward and Pentair for their pump performance.

That is how we run our waterfall. A 3way valve splits flow from returns to waterfall. We can control flow by how much we turn the valve and/or turn up the pump for more flow. You definitely Italy want to be able to come troll how much water moves through water features. They can quickly become too loud to have a conversation. And they will push up your PH. It is pretty nice to have heated water coming out of the waterfall.

Bubblers are usually open ended ports 1-1.25" in diameter. So assuming both the bubblers and the waterfall bowls are 1.25" ports, 60' of run length, 5x90's (guess), 1x2.5" suction line, 2x1.5" return lines (one for bubblers and one for waterfall bowls), and a 3' lift, then the operating point for the SuperFlo would be 72 GPM @ 30' of head. Note that this does not fall exactly on Curve G because I am using actual pump measurement data while the curves tend to be theoretical.

Using the Dyna-Wave and the same plumbing, the operating point would be 50 GPM @ 15' of head.

For any other pump, the plumbing curve would be: Head(ft) = 0.0057 * GPM^2

Bubblers are usually open ended ports 1-1.25" in diameter. So assuming both the bubblers and the waterfall bowls are 1.25" ports, 60' of run length, 5x90's (guess), 1x2.5" suction line, 2x1.5" return lines (one for bubblers and one for waterfall bowls), and a 3' lift, then the operating point for the SuperFlo would be 72 GPM @ 30' of head. Note that this does not fall exactly on Curve G because I am using actual pump measurement data while the curves tend to be theoretical.

Using the Dyna-Wave and the same plumbing, the operating point would be 50 GPM @ 15' of head.

For any other pump, the plumbing curve would be: Head(ft) = 0.0057 * GPM^2
Thanks Mark this is very helpful. I found the link to your spreadsheet, but will need to spend some time to digest it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.