Building a pool for a rookie pool owner...

Dec 1, 2016
Spring, tx
So, I've been reading and it seems like the Ozone and UV isn't really worth the money. I'm guessing the consensus is the SWG (twice the size) and constant water checks and sealing rocks? Do I still need to shock the pool with SWG? I am building a pool 32'x15'...3.5' to 6.5' deep...so around 15k gallons. I get some sun, but mostly only morning-midday sun. Sun sets on the other side of my house. I am trying to lower my maintenance and future costs...not sure what set up I should go with and what is worth it. I am going with travertine coping and pavers, possibly wet edge or pebble. I am assuming I will need to seal once a year right?

There is no need to shock a pool that is properly maintained at the proper free chlorine (FC) levels. Shocking is only necessary to kill off algae that has appeared as the result of a too low FC level. Keep your FC up and you'll never have algae.

BTW, shocking implies a one time event. We perform a SLAM instead (Shock Level And Maintain) which differs in that we keep FC at the shock level until all algae is completely eradicated and a series of tests are passed.

We don't shock, we SLAM. It sounds pedantic, but it's a different approach to pool maintenance. SLAMing is only done when needed, not every so often as some pool care "professionals" recommend.

You'll still have to SLAM if something goes wrong and you get an algae breakout (or some other issue), but no more or less than if you manually added chlorine instead of the SWG as long as you're following the procedures here. SWG or not, many members haven't had to SLAM in a year or more by following TFP's poolcare guidelines. SWGs tend to stop working when the water gets cold in the winter (I'm assuming you're not going to close the pool for the winter), so you'd still have to manually add bleach during the winter months instead of using the SWG.

I wouldn't seal travertine because of using an SWG. If you mentioned that issue here, people would think you're from another planet.

However we did seal our limestone because we get some peace of mind related to spills like red wine :)

I expect to re-do it every other year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.