Constant Algae Battle

Jun 8, 2016
Tulare, CA
Hey folks! With a full "season" under my belt and using the TFP method and testing equipment, I would say I had a very successful summer and have learned quite a bit from the forums and other reading/technical material on this site. But, I do have a nagging question:

No matter how hard I hit the pool with Chlorine (Liquid 10% content), I seem to be always on the edge of an algae bloom. My pool numbers were good through the summer and my CYA level was at 40, but it seemed I had to add more chlorine than I expected....I'm wondering why that is. Here are some things that I thought might be contributing to my "constant battle":

1) During the summer, the pool gets direct sunlight all day long - no shade at all.
2) I have a higher level of organic material that makes its way into the pool from:
a) Vegetation near the pool (grass and other plants)
b) Active farmland within 500 feet of the pool
3) I may not be running at a high enough chlorine content as consistently as I think I am.
4) PH tends to be on the higher side (7.6) on a regular basis

So, those are my thoughts....I'd like to hear yours.

Thanks!
Bjorn

Congratulations on finding and successfully using the TFP method.

I have a situation similar to yours (vegetation near the pool) and a lot of direct sunlight. It can also regularly get to over 100 during our Summer. I have also been 'caught out' with algae on more occasions than I like to admit. I also have a SWG- but these are things that I find help during the warmer months

-Daily testing for FC (or at least as much as I can)
-Brushing the pool at least once a week
-A cover to preserve the chlorine from the sun
- I have kids so using Liquid chlorine to supplement the SWG during busy times like when I have the kids and their friends over
-Never letting FC drop below the minimum for your CYA- if anything keep your FC a little higher than the usual target can help with the really hot days.

Just a thought - if you were using what you thought was a lot of chlorine did you run an OCLT to see if it was something underlying the FC demand?

Warm water, and lots of Sun take a toll on Chlorine. The Organics do as well, but the farming perhaps not so much unless you get a lot of fertilizer drift in the pool somehow. You are likely letting the FC drift too low, too long, and more than you may think. Your 7.6 pH isn't the problem I promise. Can you give us a set of fresh test results?

How do you KNOW you're....... "on the edge of an algae bloom"? What has been your daily FC loss? What is your target FC?

Test results and, an OCLT may indicate a need to SLAM.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.