Trouble Blowing out Skimmer Line

wex101

Nov 27, 2016
Vancouver WA
I am a new home owner and the home happens to have an in ground vinyl pool! I am attempting to close it myself from everything I have read on this site (which I really really appreciate) but have ran into an issue. The pool water level has been dropped below the skimmer and return lines. This meant dropping the water level about 2 feet (it is 4 ft and the shallow end and 8 ft at the deep end). I was able to successfully blow out and plug the return lines with a shop vac. However, I am having 0 success with blowing out the skimmer line, as well as am wondering if I need to do anything about the main drain.

So, here is how things are set up, although I don't understand all of it yet. There is a line connected to the skimmer that meets another line that I believe is attached to a drain at the bottom of the pool. They each have their own valve, and then combine into one line that heads back to the pump. I have attempted closing what I believe is the drain line and blowing air from both a shop vac and then a leaf blower from the pump to the skimmer, and then from the skimmer to the pump, and seen nothing happen. When I blow in at the skimmer, and pull the vac away, and I see the line fill back up part way immediately.

I will most likely go ahead and call someone in, as we are supposed to hit our first batch of freezing weather next week, but I figured I'd seek advice on here first. Thanks so much!

20161127_185353.jpg 20161127_185329.jpg 20161127_185315.jpg

The first photo shows the pump and sand filter. I was blowing air to the skimmer by disconnecting the line to the pump and blowing air into that line.

Second shows the inside of the skimmer. I believe the second hole is a plugged drain hole? Is it possible this just isn't used at all? It was never unplugged. The third shows those valves that come up from under the ground that are attached to the skimmer and drain at the bottom of the pool. I believe the right valve is to the skimmer.

Question: I only see one port for the skimmer? Do you have a main drain as well? Pictures are hard to figure out.

The piping coming into the pump is the suction side (This is either the skimmer and/or main drain). The union that you removed is the return side. Removing water with air is done the same way. Blow air through the return side where the union is taken apart and plug the return jets. The union must come apart on the suction side as well and you are blowing air backwards (where water is being pulled from). Once you remove the water, close the skimmer with a black rubber expandable plug or a Gizmo.

I do not know where your main drain is set up as it is hard to tell from the pictures. The main drain is usually on the same suction side and has a shut off valve. Sometimes, the MD is in the skimmer line. I only see one port and the other one is closed. Maybe you can do a little more investigating for the main drain.

The picture of pump and filter is difficult to read. It appears though, that the disconnected union on the upper left is the outlet of the pump going back to the mpv and filter. i would suggest disconnecting the union at the inlet to the pump (cant see the pump strainer basket, i'm assuming this union connects into that). Blowing back from here will take the pump resistance out of line, although truthfully it shouldnt add that much resistance. When blowing back from the pump inlet, close each of the skimmer line/main drain line valves one at a time to determine which is the skimmer. You should be able to blow out the skimmer easily. The other one, obviously is the main drain. you will not likely be able to blow back through this line effectively with a shop vac. If that is all you have, attempt to blow out the main drain while the skimmer line valve is closed. while you are blowing, close the main drain valve quickly so that you can maintain some back pressure in that line. This of course does not complete your closing of the pool, but this addresses what you asked.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.