Yellow algae need help.

Hello,

I am new to pools and have some algae that is taking over. I believe it is mustard algae from the definitions I have read here. It is stuck to the walls and floor of my pool and spa. It is the most dense in the darker areas. I went to Leslies today and the guy was all over the place on what I should do. He had just transferred to my area and was not confident do to the drastically different climate he comes from. He came from the beach, I live in Palm springs CA. Now Im ready for some real advice.

Ill start with the results of the water test.
FC-----0
CH-----650
CYA----120
TA----150
PH----8.0
TDS----3500
Pho----100

I'm aware that i need new water. I have someone coming to do that in the next couple of weeks. He told me that I should get this dealt with first. According
to the "Slam" method here I need to do a partial drain. To add another wrinkle I'm having company over Sunday. Im sure swimming will not be on the agenda but if possible it would be nice. (Swimming in the winter is one benefits of living in the desert). Oh and at this point I put 2 pounds of the shock bags they sell at leslies in this morning. (my pool is about 12000g) Thanks for any advice.

6667a9402acf20b5f4265c244c0b6c36.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Do you have one of the recommended test kits? If not, then you can not even really start the SLAM process ... so yeah, Sunday your pool will not be clear.

Well, I would recommend the TF-100 from tftestkits.net

More of the reagents you need, less of what you don't and better customer service than you will find anywhere.

See link to a comparison in my signature.

Hello,

I am new to pools and have some algae that is taking over. I believe it is mustard algae from the definitions I have read here. It is stuck to the walls and floor of my pool and spa. It is the most dense in the darker areas. I went to Leslies today and the guy was all over the place on what I should do. He had just transferred to my area and was not confident do to the drastically different climate he comes from. He came from the beach, I live in Palm springs CA. Now Im ready for some real advice.

Ill start with the results of the water test.
FC-----0
CH-----650
CYA----120
TA----150
PH----8.0
TDS----3500
Pho----100

I'm aware that i need new water. I have someone coming to do that in the next couple of weeks. He told me that I should get this dealt with first. According
to the "Slam" method here I need to do a partial drain. To add another wrinkle I'm having company over Sunday. Im sure swimming will not be on the agenda but if possible it would be nice. (Swimming in the winter is one benefits of living in the desert). Oh and at this point I put 2 pounds of the shock bags they sell at leslies in this morning. (my pool is about 12000g) Thanks for any advice.
Warm water and 0 FC are perfect conditions for starting a mustard alge farm! But I guess you knew that already. ��

I've been in your shoes. I'm in So Cal, this is what I would do...

Let the shock do its work for the day, and then brush the mess out of the pool! Let the filter run 24/7 to suck it all up, and repeat as necessary.

Once your test results are good, and your water is clear (hopefully by this weekend) pull your filter apart and clean it. You need to get rid of all the stuff in there!!

I'm guessing you'll be good to go by the weekend.

Oh and...

My good friend Roland owns ROC's Firehouse Grill on Cook Street. I promise you'll love the food! Feel free to tell him I sent you. ��

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the advice on the test kit.

This morning I tested with my test strip. I know they are not the best but in a pinch can give you a ball park. So my FC was zero after putting two 2lb bags in yesterday. I brushed the mess out of the pool as suggested. And some of the algae came off. So I added two more bags.

Rivermobster thanks for the recommendation. I have been wanting to try them. I'll check it out.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What "bags" are you adding? 2 bags is not raising your FC level nearly high enough to accomplish much ... AND ... you are either adding more CH to your pool or (even worse) you might be adding more CYA to your pool; both of which are already too high.

Remember, the higher the CYA, the higher you need to maintain the FC: [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.