Atwater, CA
I finally got the tf100 test kit and used it today. These are the results

FC 0
CH 125
TA 160
CYA 40
CC 0
PH 7.5

I have a Swg but it's not working and is ordered by the pool service company for replacement. What do I need to add? This is all new to me. I have 1/2 gallon of liquid cya left from last week. I had added 1.5 gallons last week.

Congrats on the TF-100. :goodjob: An FC of zero is our biggest concern right now. Hopefully your water is still clear with no signs of algae or green cloudiness. For now, get some regular/plain bleach to increase your FC right away. That's #1. Regular bleach is your pool's friend. With a CYA of 40, you would normally maintain the FC at around 6-7. Main concern right now is that it was allowed to get too low which might try to let organics (algae) grow. So I would add enough bleach to increase FC to about 10 for today. Give that bleach (chlorine) time to neutralize anything in the water then re-test tomorrow. With temps dropping, you shouldn't lose too much FC. If you find FC dropping quickly in the next day or two, let us know and we may recommend an overnight (OCLT) test to rule-out algae.

Don't add anymore CYA until you get the SWG replaced. Then you can increase CYA to about 70. Until then, simply treat your pool like a non-SWG pool for chlorine purposes as noted on the Chlorine/CYA Chart (link below).

Try to click EDIT YOUR SIGNATURE to update your signature details. It will help us later. I'm not sure what type of pool you have, which would be important to know if you have plaster. Hope that helps.

I will update my signature when I get on my laptop. I'll add bleach today to make fc 10. I have a 16500 gallon pool with spa. The water looks clean. I need help with the chemicals until I get the hang of it. Do I need to run filter pump after adding the bleach?

Thanks

I will update my signature when I get on my laptop. I'll add bleach today to make fc 10. I have a 16500 gallon pool with spa. The water looks clean. I need help with the chemicals until I get the hang of it. Do I need to run filter pump after adding the bleach?

Thanks

Yes, run the pump after adding bleach. If it runs for at least half an hour after adding bleach you should be in good shape. You can either walk around the pool pouring the bleach keeping the bottle somewhat low from the surface so you don't get any splash, or pour slowly in front of a few returns. Usually not recommended to pour into skimmer due to long term effects of possibly causing some damage to pump.

Ok, I put in 2 jugs of 121oz of 8.25% bleach yesterday. I tested my FC today. It is 9.5 with CC of 0. Water and walls looks clean. What do I need to fix now? Do I need to redo any of the other tests now? I'm getting my salt cell replaced on Wednesday. Central California weather is getting cold. Right now, my filter runs at midnight. Maybe I should change that to days while the weather is cooler since night temps drop to about 50 currently, but day temps are around 62 to 80. When does the salt cell not produce anymore?

edit: I did my signature but it didn't show up here

- - - Updated - - -

Testing to see if signature shows

Your about right with the FC level as per the Chlorine/CYA chart.

You just want to to monitor your FC levels- testing your FC daily and adding bleach to maintain your target level. You don't want your FC level to drop any lower than 5. If it seems your FC level is dropping off really quickly then you may need to do the OCLT to rule out any organics consuming your chlorine.

You could test your pH levels every couple of days but don't worry too much about the rest at this stage.

Please read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. Do that until you have a good feel for what you are testing and WHY you are testing.

Your FC is consumable and will drop daily. Replenish it as needed to keep your FC/CYA (Chart is in Pool School) in the correct ratio.

Test every day or so until you begin to understand your pool and what it will take to keep it in balance.

Ok, I've gotten I'm the hang of testing and correcting fc. Our temps are less than 60 during the days so I've turned my swg off and treating my pool as a non-swg. It rained here in the last month. I tested my pool today.

fc 4 so added 63oz of 10% bleach for goal of 7
ch dropped to 75
ta is 140
cya is 50
forgot to test pH

according to pool math, I need to add 27 lbs of calcium chloride. Does that sound right?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
According to my Poolmath review, I would suggest the following:
- Definitely test and confirm pH. With a pebble surface, it's very important when combined with TA and CH results.
- FC is good with that current CYA of 50
- TA is a bit elevated but may be okay, but only if we know your pH (together they effect the potential for scale or etching)
- CH at 75 is very low. A SWG pool minimum is about 350, and a non-SWG pool is about 250. Poolmath tells me that you need to "Add 428 oz by weight or 342 oz by volume of calcium chloride" for your 16.5K pool.

Again, make sure to verify the pH as it is very important for you ~ not only for plaster/pebble health but also for your heater.

Have a nice day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.