Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Swap Cartridge for Sand?

1. Back To Top    #1

Swap Cartridge for Sand?

I am approx. 2 days into converting our pool to Chlorine. We have a 20 foot above ground pool (circle) and now we have slightly cloudy water that is blue now. Oh yea...finally.

I have a cartridge system. The sticker on the pump says 2.5 hp AO Smith. It is a variable speed. Previously I have hated the cartridge system because I really cant backwash or vacuum to waste. A filter/cartridge does not seem to even last me 6-9 months (previously with Baquacil). The Unicel number is C-8416 and looks like they are around 100 dollars online.

Do I go head and let local pool company install a Sand Filter with the current pump ($400) or do I keep the cartridge system? I am afraid the pump is going to be too large for the sand filter?
    Comments?

Thanks
    JB

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Swap Cartridge for Sand?

I am afraid the pump is going to be too large for the sand filter?
    You can get sand filters in many sizes......including ones large enough for your pump.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

There is also no harm in keeping your cartridge system. Asking sand or cartridge is kind of like saying Coke or Pepsi. Everyone has a strong opinion, but it is really a matter of personal preference.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Get the sand and dont look back. I feel that the sand is easier to maintain. I only need to backwash 3-4 times a year and it takes about 5 minutes to do. If you stay with a cartridge then get an extra set of filters so you can clean them on your own time while the new ones are in the filter.
    25K gallon IG pool/spa, Pentair Sandfilter, 400K heater, 3hp pool pump, 1hp feature pump, Polaris Caretaker inground floor cleaner, Easy8/Intellitouch controller.

5. Back To Top    #5

I have only used cartridges, never been around a sand or DE. That said, I swap my cartridges every month. Take the dirty one and hose it off, spray some cart cleaner on it and rinse. Takes me about 1/2 hour total. End of the year I take both carts put them in a tub with some dishwasher det. and let soak for a couple of hours while I take pool down. (Ya sure here in Minnneesota it getss cooold in vinter). Let them dry and store them in the shed. You can get replacement filters for $80 here:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/C8413-Unicel-C-8...3286.m20.l1116
    Mike
    Intex Ultra 18' x 52" AG 6,981 Gal.
    3 - 2'x20' solar panels
    Hayward XStream 1500 Cart Filter
    Hayward 1-1/2 HP 2-speed Superpump
    Aquabot Pool Rover
    2-Softub 300 hot tubs (yup just got one for the lake)
    TF Test Kit Doing the BBB for 7 years
    Medota Heights,Minnesota

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

I prefer sand to cartridge filters simply because after I'm done cleaning a sand filter my hands are still dry (oh and I'm not covered in everything that WAS on the cartridge)
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp