Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Swap Cartridge for Sand?

1. Back To Top    #1

Swap Cartridge for Sand?

I am approx. 2 days into converting our pool to Chlorine. We have a 20 foot above ground pool (circle) and now we have slightly cloudy water that is blue now. Oh yea...finally.

I have a cartridge system. The sticker on the pump says 2.5 hp AO Smith. It is a variable speed. Previously I have hated the cartridge system because I really cant backwash or vacuum to waste. A filter/cartridge does not seem to even last me 6-9 months (previously with Baquacil). The Unicel number is C-8416 and looks like they are around 100 dollars online.

Do I go head and let local pool company install a Sand Filter with the current pump ($400) or do I keep the cartridge system? I am afraid the pump is going to be too large for the sand filter?
    Comments?

Thanks
    JB

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Swap Cartridge for Sand?

I am afraid the pump is going to be too large for the sand filter?
    You can get sand filters in many sizes......including ones large enough for your pump.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

There is also no harm in keeping your cartridge system. Asking sand or cartridge is kind of like saying Coke or Pepsi. Everyone has a strong opinion, but it is really a matter of personal preference.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Get the sand and dont look back. I feel that the sand is easier to maintain. I only need to backwash 3-4 times a year and it takes about 5 minutes to do. If you stay with a cartridge then get an extra set of filters so you can clean them on your own time while the new ones are in the filter.
    25K gallon IG pool/spa, Pentair Sandfilter, 400K heater, 3hp pool pump, 1hp feature pump, Polaris Caretaker inground floor cleaner, Easy8/Intellitouch controller.

5. Back To Top    #5

I have only used cartridges, never been around a sand or DE. That said, I swap my cartridges every month. Take the dirty one and hose it off, spray some cart cleaner on it and rinse. Takes me about 1/2 hour total. End of the year I take both carts put them in a tub with some dishwasher det. and let soak for a couple of hours while I take pool down. (Ya sure here in Minnneesota it getss cooold in vinter). Let them dry and store them in the shed. You can get replacement filters for $80 here:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/C8413-Unicel-C-8...3286.m20.l1116
    Mike
    Intex Ultra 18' x 52" AG 6,981 Gal.
    3 - 2'x20' solar panels
    Hayward XStream 1500 Cart Filter
    Hayward 1-1/2 HP 2-speed Superpump
    Aquabot Pool Rover
    2-Softub 300 hot tubs (yup just got one for the lake)
    TF Test Kit Doing the BBB for 7 years
    Medota Heights,Minnesota

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

I prefer sand to cartridge filters simply because after I'm done cleaning a sand filter my hands are still dry (oh and I'm not covered in everything that WAS on the cartridge)
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp