When to add Algaecide, dropping chlorine level to add ascorbic acid for stains

I am in the process of dropping my chlorine level to add ascorbic acid to remove metal stains on my fiberglass pool. I have added metal out and am wondering when to add the Algaecide to fight algae while i treat the stains. I think my chlorine level will be low enough tomorrow or Friday, and wondering if i should add the algaecide now, later or both.

Any ideas or suggestion would be appreciated, Keith

Thanks Jason, really appreciate the timely advice, just went out and started the pump and added the algaecide, my FC was just at minimum tonight so great timing, should be able to go to work on the stains tomorrow afternoon now, soon as I get some christmas lighting up i'll start on the pool, were doing 3-4 hours of decorating each day trying to get done by Thanksgiving.

Thanks Again, Keith

Just an update, put the ascorbic acid in as per Hbar's instructions, every half hour, ended up using the whole 5 lb's, stains 90 percent gone after 4 hours and 99 percent gone this afternoon 22 hours later, Looking really great, now i am bringing up the PH with arm and hammer washing soda.

Ph was below 7.0, chlorine 0, and Ta had dropped from 80 to 40. Testing and adjusting slowly every 3 hours.

Thanks to all for the info and help, will update again tomorrow after my Ph is back to 7.2.

Keith

OK next morning pool surface great, fiberglass surface looks like new, even the main drain covers are clean like new. Ph 7.0 all day no adjustments needed, added chlorine slowly all day, end of day today the Ph is up to 7.2, chlorine finally registering 2.0 after 2 gallons total added today, added another half gallon just as darkness falls, going to leave pump on another hour or so then put the solar cover on and leave it till Am.

Question for you experienced stain fighters, I know to keep Ph around 7.0-7.2, but would you expect much change in Ph as all I plan to do is keep bringing up the FC. My thoughts were to just monitor Ta and PH and bring up the FC, main thing to keep PH 7.0-7.2 while I bring up FC.

Keith

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.