Permanent yellow/brown stains

tonto

Apr 27, 2014
California
This past summer I had a little mustard algae problem which I took care of via the normal means. Even though most of the algae was eliminated, a number of stains remained where the algae seemed to be the heaviest and which I could not eliminate even with a wire brush. I thought with proper chemical balance and decreasing temperatures later in the fall the stains might disappear, but they have not. I scrub frequently with a wire brush but it has little to no effect on the stains. Water temperature has dropped to 65 degrees and the stains appear the same as when it was 80 degrees.
Chemicals are presently within normal ranges, except for Calcium and CYA, both of which are a little high ( I have not taken the time to partially drain and refill the pool).
Any suggestions or solutions would be appreciated.

I'd suggest you check to see if it is iron staining by rubbing a stained area with a vitamin C tablet to see if it lightens.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.