Is it CREEPY to have a security camera pointed at the pool area?

Great thread. I've always had a camera covering my backyard and upgraded it to a Nest Cam Outdoor for my pool build. It has proven to be very valuable when watching the subcontractors and catching incorrect work before it gets too far. I'll leave it up once the pool is done but hadn't thought about guests possibly being weirded out. The good news is that with the Nest's magnetic base, it will be easy to tilt it up and point it away from the pool and at a wall when folks come over, just in case it does bother someone.

I have one camera in the back, but it is aimed to cover the two backdoors. It does catch part of the pool, but that is not it's main purpose, I think you can tell be looking at where it's pointed its meant to cover the doors, not the pool.

I use my cams to cover the entrances to my house, not to watch the pool lol.

You mean like this? :)

a125e1007867a8ec1138c9967bececce.jpg

I actually have two cameras right now pointing to the backyard. First is at the back door. Second is what you see here. Sorry but if my guests have an issue, two solutions: first you don’t have to stand in the back yard or go in the pool. Second, you won’t be invited next time.

I agree on the umbrella policy. I have had a million dollar policy for a while now. And it’s pretty darn cheap. Good safety net.

-S

One thing to keep in mind regarding the use of cameras on our pools......Here, we are all pool owners talking to other pool owners. For the most part, our objectives are the same and we understand the motives for the use of cameras.

We entertain quite often in the summer, as does my teenager. None of our family or friends are pool owners. The motive for a camera pointed at them (or worse, following them) while they use the pool may not be as obvious to them. Those are the folks whose comfort concerns me...not other pool owners. Just because no one has verbalized it, doesn't mean some guests haven't felt uncomfortable. That's why, for me, it's important that when entertaining, its obvious the system is OFF...just as it's equally important that when not entertaining, its obvious the system is ON. That would seem to appease both schools of thought regarding the use of cameras.

We have 23 cameras,3 different brands.
And one is directed at the pool showing pool water.
My main objective is to show the pool water level and if the pump is running, checking through the phone while away such as vacation.
No one uses pool while we are away.
If a problem occurs, I can check my hard drive on PC to review all cams video.
Wife says I have issues.
This all started with 2 pumpkins being stolen 3 years ago off porch.
Gonna take some time to recoup the dollar loss.

Just thought I'd chime in with a story....

We have a front porch camera as well. On Halloween, I left our bowl of candy on the front porch and walked next door to drink a beer (or 3) with the neighbor. Ten minutes later, my wife came walking by and noted that our bowl was empty - even though I only saw a few kids come to our door (I could see from where I was). Wasn't a big deal as I wanted the candy gone but was interesting anyway.

So the next day, I took a quick look at our security footage. There were a few kids standing over the bowls, when in came a mini-spiderman. Spidey swooped in under the bigger kids, grabbed 5 of the pre-bagged candy packs and stuffed them in his little plastic pumpkin. Then zoomed off through the yard. The older ones looked at each other, laughed and walked away.

But....in a cool show of humanity, about 3 minutes later, little spidey returns by himself to the front porch, and unloads 4 of the 5 candy packs he scooped up earlier. It's off camera but either he came to his spidey-senses or mom/dad were quick to notice that the tyke filled his bucket at just one house!

Another minute passes and a group of zombies showed up to clean out the rest of the bowl. No foul play after all.

Its only creepy if you make it creepy. I have a nest cam that covers pretty much my whole backyard. I used it to watch them build my pool recently from work on my phone lol. Also used it to capture screen shots to make a time lapse video of the pool build. The nest cam will stay for security amd safety reasons, i get alerts when theres
movement, we have two young kids so we need and like to be able to monitor the pool area.

I have teenagers and I've had parents that don't have a pool thank me for having cameras to keep an eye on things. I think most people understand the value of playback if something happens as well as the ability to keep tabs on what teenagers are capable of getting up to if you're not outside. We had a teenager hit his head at our daughter's birthday party - he decided to dive (from the inside bench) into 3 feet of water. We don't generally watch the recorded footage unless something happens and we need to and his parents were fine so it was unnecessary in that instance but for liability reasons it is smart to have them on as well - then if there is an accident you can prove what actually happened.

We didn't need to with this one since he told us what happened as blood poured down his face and we called his parents. Usually the footage deletes on it's own after a few days but we kept that day just in case.

It's not creepy, it's smart. Our two that cover the pool are at a fixed distance and it's not like they're zooming in on bathing suits. It's an overall view of the pool and yard area.

I like being able to monitor in live time while I work in the office if there are teenagers out there so I can make sure they aren't jumping off the back wall, diving in, or doing anything stupid. It also keeps them from trying to get frisky in my pool. They all know there are cameras and nobody cares or behaves self-consciously. Maybe it's just my area as most seem to have camera security. I know several with cameras in their living rooms. For me - that would be a lot harder to get used to.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.