Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Does your filter dance?

1. Back To Top    #1

Does your filter dance?

My sand filter developed a leak and was recently replaced. This new one jerks and shudders a great deal. Much more vibration than I remember with the old one.

I thought that the water flow through the filter and pipe should be pretty smooth.

Am I seeing something normal? Does anyone have any suggestions on what to look for if there's a problem?
    12170 Gallon in ground San Juan Caesar's Palace fiberglass with integral Spa in a screened enclosure. 1 HP Pentair Whisperflow pump with Pentair Sand Dollar SD-80 sand filter. Intellichlor IC40 with EasyTouch wireless remote. Aquacal Heatwave Heat Pump. Taylor K-2006 and Aquachek Salt test strips.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Does your filter dance?

Nope, your filter should not dance around. If you have air pockets going through your system, it will "jerk" or expand and contract, but I'd look for some issue. Did you bleed air out of the tank?
    http://www.swimmingpool.com/

"Leave the gun...take the cannolis"

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Does your filter dance?

Hmmm. I would have thought that the pool builder had done that. I gave it a go and sure enough air did escape. It's a little better but still not right. The pipe that leads from the filter to the heater is the one that dances most. Something else must be going on.
    12170 Gallon in ground San Juan Caesar's Palace fiberglass with integral Spa in a screened enclosure. 1 HP Pentair Whisperflow pump with Pentair Sand Dollar SD-80 sand filter. Intellichlor IC40 with EasyTouch wireless remote. Aquacal Heatwave Heat Pump. Taylor K-2006 and Aquachek Salt test strips.