Minor cloudiness remains after SLAM

AZguy

Sep 15, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Cliche story about going away for a couple weeks and coming back to find a swamp Shrek would be happy to call home...

Pre-SLAM

FC - 0
PH - 7.2
CYA - 80
temp - 90F

Maintained a FC of 30-40ppm using 8.25% bleach for a week and added roughly 1cup DE to my sand filter after each backwash until my overnight(8pm-3am) drop was undetectable and then allowed the pool to fall to 10ppm.

After slam
FC - 10
PH - 7.8
CYA - 60
Temp - 80F

I am not consuming chlorine at night but still have a very faint cloudiness to the water. Is this just dead crud that the filter needs to pull out of the water still or is there another test I should be running?

Obligatory pics along the way.
Pool progress - Album on Imgur

Welcome to the forum. :wave:.

The very final part of the SLAM is to meet these criteria...
1. Your pool water is sparkling and there is no visible algae (dead or alive)
2. Your CC's are .5ppm or less
3. You can hold your FC overnight without losing more than 1ppm.

So, you failed #1 by letting your FC fall before you had crystal clear water. You may still get crystal water by being where you are but it is hard to predict.

Do you have to restart the SLAM? Probably not. Hold your FC at 10-12 ppm or so and brush, vacuum, and clea your filter. I think it will clear up.

1-2psi Yup.

After 3-4 hours the pressure had been doubling (15 > 30psi) and the backwash was neon green. Kinda a pretty color.

For the past 36 hours the pressure has held steady at 15psi with no change to the water. If you look at the pictures it is pretty clear but when looking at the drains in full noon sun it can be seen. (Yes I am getting picky about crystal clarity)

Hahaha. You have succumbed to the need for sparkling water clarity! (Me too...)

Try Dave's method for a bit and see if it improves before doing the whole slam thing again. That's what I would do.

I have a sand filter (and religiously use DE after every backwash), and sometimes a sand filter just needs time to gain that perfection. In my pool, if there is ever the inkling of doubt about clarity, dollars to donuts, my filter is in need of a backwash and that takes care of things. Get to know your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.