Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algaecide and PH/CL/TA

1. Back To Top    #1

Algaecide and PH/CL/TA

Hi,

Just wondering whether algaecide or clarifier (coagulator?) has an affect on PH/CL/TA/etc.?

Besides my issues posted separately, there's a slight green tint to the bottom 1/3 of the walls of my round AG pool. I read in another post to take a trichlor tab and scrub it with it to see if it cleans it (not sure what that indicates, positively or negatively), but I haven't had a chance to do that yet.

Thanks!

Joseph
    24' x 54" Round AGP
    Sta-Rite PRC75 filter/pump
    Hayward H250 heater
    TF100 test kit
    Happy TFP'er despite metals in water....

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Algaecide and PH/CL/TA

Clarifier doesn't have any significant impact on any of the chemical levels. Some algaecides will lower the FC level, others won't. Algaecide shouldn't affect any of the other levels.

We don't recommend using either algaecide or clarifier, except is some rare and specific situations. One of the principals of BBB is to not add anything that you don't really need.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the info, Jason.

I've been reading up on BBB/Pool School and I just saw the advice against algaecide. I always wondered what role, exactly algaecide played when chlorine was supposed be killing any living organisms in a pool.

Clarifier's saved my bottom a number of times already, apparently doing what it's supposed to do and coagulating particles and allowing the filtration to catch them faster/quicker/more-effectively. I suspect it would have been just as effective to follow BBB instead.

Too bad I just bought a few hundred dollars worth of chemicals....
    24' x 54" Round AGP
    Sta-Rite PRC75 filter/pump
    Hayward H250 heater
    TF100 test kit
    Happy TFP'er despite metals in water....

4. Back To Top    #4

I always wondered too, until I discovered this site and the chlorine/cya chart. now I know the high cya level was inhibiting the chlorine action. pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by josephny
    I read in another post to take a trichlor tab and scrub it with it to see if it cleans it (not sure what that indicates, positively or negatively), but I haven't had a chance to do that yet.
    I think if you hold a trichlor puck against a stain, and it helps, then the stain is organic (as opposed to metal).
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

I think if you hold a trichlor puck against a stain, and it helps, then the stain is organic (as opposed to metal).
    Cha-ching! (That is correct)
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School