Optimum Simple Cell...Thoughts?

Sep 4, 2016
Visalia
Hello TFP, this is my first posting.

I have a 15 month old in ground plaster pool with a Hayward Aqua Logic SWG and a Optimum Simple Cell. My salt readings are between 1000-1600 PPM. I have 4500 PPM salt from Leslies. I added too much salt thinking the salt reading was accurate. I cleaned the cell twice. First with a 4:1 ratio then with a 2:1 ratio. The salt reading continues to be way low. I contacted Hayward, gave them my readings from the diagnostics and they said my board may be bad. They have not helped me get someone to service the unit even though it is under warranty.

I use the Instant Salt to adjust the reading up and the SWG will work fine. I have 4-6 FC in the pool until the next cycle when the SWG shuts off saying "Very Low Salt". I have to repeat this process daily to keep the SWG running.

I took the cell to Leslie's to test it. Gases could be seen visually rising from the cell, which they told me its producing chlorine, but the test said the cell "failed". Has anyone used the Optimum Simple Cell? They only offer a 6 month warranty. Compared to the 3 year warranty of Hayward, I'm thinking this is a bad cell. However it does keep making chlorine, even if the salt reading is way off.

I'm thinking of buying a new cell, but I am concerned that I may have the same problem.

Today's reading: 28.00 V, 3.52A, 75 degrees, 7.8 PH, 1200 PPM

Any suggestions welcome. Thank you in advance.

Well, the online reviews of this product are not kind to say the least. It appears to be about $100 cheaper than a genuine Hayward T-15 replacement cell but it would appear that the $100 saved is not worth the hassle since 1/3 of the reviewers say that the cell dies right after the warranty is up. I'm not familiar enough with the Hayward controls to give you any help on the diagnostic side, but it sounds like the cell is defective.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.