Liner Change Nightmare

Jun 9, 2015
NY
Hi everyone, I'm desperately seeking advise about my pool liner situation. I had a new liner installed in May. The experience was riddled with problems from the get go. The contract stated the work would be done in a week. The guy didn't arrive with the liner until 1 month later. The liner had a sever folds and creases from day 1. Contacting his office, they always said the owner will get back to me. I texted the owner of the issue and he never responded. Finally, he picked up and agreed to finish the job and fix the creases. Since all the work was contracted, the contracted guys had no idea about the liner work and refused to do it, and the owner stopped responding to my calls and messsages. I contacted HomeAdvisor, and my credit card to file a dispute. I don't want to dump on HA as well, but they took 3 weeks to get back to me, and they started their investigation to resolve the matter. HA customer service could not reach the owner of the company, and deemed the company unfit for HA. The kicker is the company is still on HA :evil:. I see this company has bad reviews on HA and google now (new reviews). The crease is so bad that the liner has separated at the seam. Luckily, a piece of gorilla tape has slowed the leak.

The credit card company needs some time for investigation and they can't give me a date they will come to a resolve. The contract states 5 year liner material, water and labor replacement warranty. It also has a safety cover job bundled into the contract. My idea was to get a 2nd opinion on the replacement cost, file it with the CC company and see where it lands. My father got involved, he told me the contract is still valid and I owe him for the cover, or he can sue me. He then decided to call the guy and he picked up, and said he would like to see the tear :confused:

I was shocked my Dad made the decision to call this guy, and see what he would offer. Can't undo that. He set an appointment that he later messaged he can't make it, and then my father wasn't free. I tried contacting another company I have used in the past with good results. I only got to the secretary that wants me to get on a contract for a new cover, charge me a service fee and then give me a estimate for a new liner/repair. It feels like someone is always trying to take advantage of the situation.

I'll post a picture of the tear and ask your opinion on the situation. I have 2-3 people I contacted at the beginning of the season for the liner job. Do they really need to come back out to my home take measurements and charge me a service fee just to give me an estimate to provide to the credit card company. It is a LOOP LOC liner with seam warranty. I don't know what to do, and the stress this has caused is overwhelming. I don't know if I should continue to try and get the work repaired by this guy. My reasoning is he hasn't responded to the crease concerns all summer and after it has failed, and a dispute is in progress, he has offered to come back repair and proceed with the contracted work. I feel he is trying to cover his but and knows exactly how this works, while I have no clue.

Here are 2 videos I shot of the folds and tear in the liner seam. Both video's have clear views at 1:00. I'll try posting high res shots.
New Pool Liner Leaking - YouTube

So sorry you are having this problem. We have had a 15k gal vinyl IG pool in Orlando since 1977. Have had the liner replaced three times over the years, always by the same company. They are great, do a fantastic job and the measuring and installing is always done by his own employees. There has never been a service charge for the measuring visits, just part of the total cost. Sounds like you did not have the good fortune we had. I would suggest, if the builder/installer is still willing to work to try to repair the problem, I would encourage him to do that. If you think talking to our great guy would be helpful to you, I will ask him if he is willing. He really knows his stuff! If you can and want to private msg me your phone number. Joyful Dog Owner.

So sorry you are having this problem. We have had a 15k gal vinyl IG pool in Orlando since 1977. Have had the liner replaced three times over the years, always by the same company. They are great, do a fantastic job and the measuring and installing is always done by his own employees. There has never been a service charge for the measuring visits, just part of the total cost. Sounds like you did not have the good fortune we had. I would suggest, if the builder/installer is still willing to work to try to repair the problem, I would encourage him to do that. If you think talking to our great guy would be helpful to you, I will ask him if he is willing. He really knows his stuff! If you can and want to private msg me your phone number. Joyful Dog Owner.

Thanks, I'm located in NY however. I really had bad luck with this contractor. My family made the decision to go with this contractor based on projected build time. My experience has been that these people shamelessly miss appointments, and have no consideration for their customers. Our family expects a new liner to be installed, and the cost of water as stated in the contract is this unreasonable? I used the loop loc warranty calculator and a warrantied liner is fairly inexpensive, so I imagine it's in the contractors best interest to be good on his word. SMH I have no legal experience, experience with credit card disputes, or experience with bad contractors.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.