Plaster and Aquabright Comparison

You could do a colored Big Green Egg broscher on the bottom of you pool. Once you sell the house, the new owners could throw their Primo flyer over the top.

I'm thinking more along the lines of some album cover art....but what to choose? In'Sync, Boyz 2 Men....wait, Celine!! Give me some Dion any day of the week!! A big 'ole stencil of Celine on the pool bottom, now we're talking!!

As for "changing mind", I meant could you go from a rough surface to a smooth surface and then back again if you didn't like the roughness.

That is nice. So, you still have to manage for scale. But, it sounds like pretty much everything else is superior to plaster, vinyl and fiberglass. Just need to see how it looks in 20 or 30 years.

I think no matter what scale will always be an issue if it isn't correctly managed. On the samples I had, the scale wiped right off. The samples had a little haze when they dried (similar to tile when its grouted) but that came right off too.

The manufacturer highly recommends using a scale inhibitor but I don't know if thats truly a necessity or if they've had issues in the past. It didn't seem that way to me in the testing I did.

I think a lot has to do with the plaster itself. I remember talks of the pH of the water near the surface of the plaster being higher due to the formation of calcium hydroxide. I believe it was in response to questioning why the pH in plaster pools always seems to rise whereas vinyl and fiberglass pools can be so much more stable.

Thanks for the great info. I have worked along side of Gardiner pool plastering in my businiess and have found them to be great guys. They are the aquabright guys here in socal. Anyways, I am getting ready to plaster my new construction pool, This thread now has me thinking to go with white plaster and see how I like it then if I feel I want a change to the aquabright I can always do it later. Besides water cost and restarting pool can you think of any drawbacks to my plan?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wow! Three coats to get to 1/16".

I am curious to see how your scratched Aquabrite sample fairs over an extended testing period. My hypothesis: In the case of a new pool, if the Aquabrite surface is compromised, the underlying plaster then becomes subject to the same chemical reactions common at startup. If so, does the release of aggregate in the form of plaster dust comprise the bond beyond the scratch area?

That would be a brutal scratch then. In that case the plaster would still have two coats of high strength epoxy that has penetrated deep into the plaster. Remember that no cementious product is truly waterproof and the epoxy takes advantage of this.

Refer to post # 8 to see the finished thickness. The material is nearly a liquid as it hits the surface under high pressure and by doing that is adhered by both chemical and mechanical adhesion.

It completely fuses together. EcoFinish has a video on YouTube (I'll go look for it) where during an install it began to rain halfway through. The crew waited it out for a few hours and once the rain stopped, they pumped the water out and went right back to work. The finish was seamless.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.