Galaxy Saphire Pebble Fina Turning White

Hgoldberg

Bronze Supporter
Aug 14, 2016
San Antonio, texas
Hi all, we just bought this house about 3 months ago and first time pool owner. Between the time we made the offer and closing, the owner moved, the power went out leaving the pump off for a couple of weeks. When we moved in, we noticed the sapphire finish had turned white, almost all the way to the water line. We actually thought, at first, that there was a layer of black algae around to top, but it was actually the sapphire finish that had not yet turned white. I brushed like crazy and got it to recede toward the bottom of the pool, but could not get it off of the bottom. CYA level was over 200, so we had Keith Zars drain and acid wash the pool. It looked much better afterwards, but to me, still not new. After drain we refilled the pool with regular city water per Keith Zars which is very hard.

Fast forward 2 months, it looks like its starting to happen again, white swirly areas and this time with dime sized white spots to accent! It seems like it started after the first backwash after the drain/acid wash. It does not brush off. Have had Keith Zars out 2 or 3 times, water is near perfect.

Total Hardness = 200
Free Chlorine/Bromine = 2 to 4, fluctuates, but always on the high side. I have difficulty getting it lower... I have the chlorinator off now and it is still not moving
PH = 7.8
TA = 90
CYA = 30 to 50

I always top the pool off with city water, can/should I use softened water????

Help! I don't want to pay for an acid wash again.

What is causing this and is there anything I can do to clean up what is there now?

Thanks!
HG

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.