Light not secure in niche?

goober71

Jun 20, 2016
Houston TX
Hi All,
i have a Hayward 500W light in my recently completed pool. I was checking the diameter of the light yesterday to order a colored cover for it. I noticed that the light is not completely secure in the housing. There's a screw on top that holds it in place but I can wiggle the light a little with my hand underwater.
is this normal? Or should it be completely secure?
Thanks.

G

So, it turns out the screw on top was not tightened completely. It was in the notch at the bottom, but was sliding around a bit because it was loose on top. I tightened the top screw and its secure now.
i assume the niche is supposed to be full of water as well? There was a bunch of coiled wire in the niche behind the light.

G

So, it turns out the screw on top was not tightened completely. It was in the notch at the bottom, but was sliding around a bit because it was loose on top. I tightened the top screw and its secure now.
i assume the niche is supposed to be full of water as well? There was a bunch of coiled wire in the niche behind the light.

G

All sounds good. We took our lights out (I think the same kind) recently due to algae and a light bulb needing to be replaced. They were a bear to get back in. Getting that bottom part seated properly so you can properly seat the screw at 12 o'clock can be a challenge as the fixture wants to float (as it should). Yes to water behind the entire fixture but the fixture itself should be sealed.

It sounds fine. The retaining ring tab fits into the slot on the bottom and is secured by the screw on the top. The fixture is held in by the ring. The cord wraps around the fixture. The niche should be full of water. The lightbulb is in the waterproof fixture.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.