Just Cancelled our Service

We had free maintenance included for 6 months with our new pool. After two months, I have decided I'm tired of battling the chemistry with someone else. They were instructed to add nothing but acid on their weekly visits. Today I saw him pouring something into the skimmer that quickly started to make the water under the waterfall foamy. Three hours later, there is still more foam than usual. I texted our pool builder and asked him to cancel and explained why. He said they probably added "the weekly enzyme that keeps you from having to shock". It's called ProZymes Pool. Is this a necessary treatment? Even if it is necessary, I still plan to cancel. I can't handle having someone else pouring stuff in without telling me. It was a battle to get them to stop shocking weekly.

Our pool builder has been great. Great job on the build. I just think I'm too hands on to have someone else maintain it. I've almost got everything where I want it. Still working on getting the CYA up to about 80. My main question: is weekly enzyme treatment necessary?

You made the right call. Weekly enzyme treatments necessary - no. In your case, making sure the SWG is maintaining that FC level for you is priority #1. You have your own TF-100 (or Taylor K-2006C) correct? For your new pool, I would expect you'll have a higher acid demand as that new plaster cures, but other than that, watch your FC. At some point post a full set of test results (your own testing) and we'll gladly look it over for you. Have a nice evening.

This chart should help you determine your run time. See the link in my sig for more info

When working to set your run time and % for a SWG, it is recommended to use Pool Math and bleach to get your FC to the target level plus 2-3 FC until you dial in your SWG and you know that it is able to replace the 24 Hr FC Demand. The idea is to keep your pool from going below the minimum while you dial in the % and run time.

Current readings are:
FC - 3
CC - 0
CH - 350
TA - 80
PH - 7.8
CYA - 55

I don't know what my calcium hardness has come down. The first time I tested it I got over 600. Then it's gradually come down over the past few weeks. How is that possible? I added two pounds of stabilizer last week. I can hardly tell a difference in the test from last week. I guess I will go ahead and add the rest. I probably need to up my % on the swg. It's only at 40 for 12 hours. But the chlorine is staying steady at 3.

Matt

Increasing your CYA to 70 should help on the FC loss. But increase it for now so you don't drop below 3. Add a little regular bleach in a pinch if necessary. As for the CH ... it's good right now so I'd leave it alone. Fill water will probably drive it up later anyways. Don't let the pH go over 7.8 and I think you will do fine.

PS - Don't forget to add your test kit to your signature. :)

Update on water:
FC 4.5
CC 0
TA 90
PH 7.5
CH 350
CYA 60-65

I need to get the CYA up a little more. I've added 4 pounds in the past two weeks. It only raised it about 10-15 ppm. But on a good note, my saturation index is .03. It was .29 a few weeks ago. I went to Leslie's today to look around. He looked at me like I was nuts when I told him I'm not shocking. He gave me a brochure on the importance of shocking weekly. It says you have to do it to keep your CC at 0. I'm at 0 and have been since the pool was filled in June. As far as shocking goes, I don't need to do it unless my CC gets over .5 correct?

If you maintain your chlorine at an adequate level, you should never have to shock at all. And even if you do get an algae bloom, don't add "shock", which contains either calcium of CYA. Just use liquid chlorine to raise your chlorine to SLAM levels and follow the procedures outlined on this site.

You don't need to shock ever. Just maintain FC above minimum for your CYA at all times, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. I have never shocked my pool and it was filled in 2012. There are pics in my sig, it looks a little better than the pools in Rio. Just sayin... :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You don't need to shock ever. Just maintain FC above minimum for your CYA at all times, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. I have never shocked my pool and it was filled in 2012. There are pics in my sig, it looks a little better than the pools in Rio. Just sayin... :)

Pond water looks better than the pools in rio. I bet someone gets their organs harvested in Brazil over this incident.

Matt

Great job on cancelling. Best pool decision you will ever make.
Maybe they were just testing their really bright LED lights in Rio.

It can be impossible to get a pool service to just stop and listen..... soooo frustrating.

Those enzyme products help break down sun screen and lotions and stuff. If you are running a public pool or the YMCA - they can be helpful.

Chlorine will oxidize that stuff as well.

Their explanation of "This will make it so you don't have to shock" is the typical stupidity. One has nothing to do with the other. Services tend to run the FC the same in all their pools. Since some have higher CYA content - some pools have "mysterious" problems. So they dump enzymes, phosphate remover and algecide in everything.

Update on water:
FC 4.5
CC 0
TA 90
PH 7.5
CH 350
CYA 60-65

I need to get the CYA up a little more. I've added 4 pounds in the past two weeks. It only raised it about 10-15 ppm. But on a good note, my saturation index is .03. It was .29 a few weeks ago. I went to Leslie's today to look around. He looked at me like I was nuts when I told him I'm not shocking. He gave me a brochure on the importance of shocking weekly. It says you have to do it to keep your CC at 0. I'm at 0 and have been since the pool was filled in June. As far as shocking goes, I don't need to do it unless my CC gets over .5 correct?

If in doubt- perform FC overnight loss test (with SWG off and pump running). I found it more accurate indicator of something going on- it takes at least 8 hr interval and you get to see accumulated effect over this interval throughout entire pool. If that is < 1ppm you should be fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.