First pool, first day, first TF test

Well I have come to the collective oracle for some feedback.

My pool was installed and filled yesterday. (Filled with municipal water via 3,000 gallon water trucks)
Last night at dusk, I added about a half gallon of 12.5% liquid chlorine and a pound of CYA in a sock in front of the return. This afternoon the sock was empty.
Water looks great (for now).

I did my first TF test late this afternoon and here are my numbers. Did I screw up a test??

FC 1
PH 7.5
TA 320
CH 425
CYA 0

I plugged those numbers into pool math and added the total amount of chlorine recommended, but only half of the CYA it called for (almost 6 lbs)

I have not added the borax or baking soda yet as I would like your input on my test numbers and to ask how to best add the borax and the baking soda to the water.

Your feedback is is greatly appreciated.
Rolo

The TA is way high. Did you wipe the tip between drops? How many ppm of CYA did you add? Keep FC above minimum at all times for your cya to keep the pool sanitary and algae free, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. Maintain PH between 7.2 and 7.8 at all times. Don't worry about chlorine in a vinyl pool.

I've been reading JasonLion's sticky about test directions. I have read them repeatedly (even while doing the test) despite this, I believe I did not execute the TA test correctly.
I was/am confused at the language "test cell". Does that refer to the red/yellow block vessel or one of the graduated cylinders?

Well I have come to the collective oracle for some feedback.

My pool was installed and filled yesterday. (Filled with municipal water via 3,000 gallon water trucks)
Last night at dusk, I added about a half gallon of 12.5% liquid chlorine and a pound of CYA in a sock in front of the return. This afternoon the sock was empty.
Water looks great (for now).

I did my first TF test late this afternoon and here are my numbers. Did I screw up a test??

FC 1
PH 7.5
TA 320
CH 425
CYA 0

I plugged those numbers into pool math and added the total amount of chlorine recommended, but only half of the CYA it called for (almost 6 lbs)

I have not added the borax or baking soda yet as I would like your input on my test numbers and to ask how to best add the borax and the baking soda to the water.

Your feedback is is greatly appreciated.
Rolo

Please put 1 gal of bleach there (about 5 ppm for your pool size) and don't add any more CYA until you straighten out your test results. Make sure your pump is running 4-6 hrs daily and it actually circulates the water and not just making noise.

Re-did the TA test and there is no doubt my original results were flawed.

New TA result is 140-150.

I'm a little confused by Poolmath now....it says "With a TA of 145 and Borate of 0....
Then add 36oz of Borax.
However in the Borate box it says to add 653oz of boric acid" (41 lbs or 8.6 boxes of borax). Yikes!!

What is your preferred method of adding the dry powders (baking soda and borax) to the water? Into the skimmer basket?

Well I just figured out my FC be might wrong. I did the test using the R-0870 powder.

How is best way the do the FC test?

Looking at the extended test kit directions I assumed the below would be the best/easiest way......

DPD Chlorine Test
FC and TC - Free Chlorine and Total Chlorine

1. Rinse the chlorine test cell with pool water.
  2. Fill the chlorine test cell with pool water to the 9 ml mark. The top of the sample will be curved. This curve is called a meniscus. The bottom of the meniscus should be level with the mark.
  3. Add 5 drops of R-0001.
  4. Add 5 drops of R-0002.
  5. Cap the test cell and invert to mix.
  6. Match the shade/saturation of red against the color chart to find the FC level.
  7. Add 5 drops of R-0003.
  8. Cap the test cell and invert to mix.
  9. Match the shade/saturation of red against the color chart to find the TC level.
  10. CC = TC - FC
  11. Dispose of the sample safely. It is best to pour it down the drain with the water running. Do not add it back to the pool.
  12. Rinse the test cell with tap water and store for next time.

However my TF test kit does not contain R-0001 or R-0002. I will be testing FC often as I am new to testing and balancing and want to keep things in order. I recognize the R-0870 is not for daily testing, so how do I complete frequent tests for FC?

You want to use this portion:
FAS-DPD Chlorine Test
FC and CC - Free Chlorine and Combined Chlorine

1. Rinse the sample tube with pool water.
2. Fill the sample tube with pool water to the 10 ml mark. The top of the sample will be curved. This curve is called a meniscus. The bottom of the meniscus should be level with the 10 ml mark.
3. Using the small spoon shaped end of the dipper, add one heaping dipper, or two level dippers, of R-0870 and swirl to mix. If the sample turns pink for a moment and then turns clear again, or if it turns brown, add another dipper of R-0870. If the sample remains clear the entire time, your FC level is probably zero, however it is best to verify that with an OTO chlorine test, since the FAS-DPD test is prone to the occasional false zero.
4. Swirling constantly and counting the number of drops as you go, add R-0871 one drop at a time. Continue adding drops until the color changes to clear. The pink color may become extremely faint before it goes away. Make sure that the sample goes completely clear.
5. Multiply the number of drops by 0.5 to get your FC level.
6. Add 5 drops of R-0003 and swirl to mix. If the sample remains clear, your CC level is zero.
7. If the sample turns pink again, add R-0871 one drop at a time, swirling constantly and counting the number of drops as you go. Continue adding drops until the color changes to clear. The pink color may become extremely faint before it goes away. Make sure that the sample goes completely clear.
8. Multiply the number of drops by 0.5 to get your CC level.
9. Dispose of the sample safely. It is best to pour it down the drain with the water running. Do not add it back to the pool.
10. Rinse the sample tube with tap water and store for next time.

- - - Updated - - -

I test FC using the FAS-DPD everyday to ensure accuracy. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.