Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Green Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Green Pool

Hi, I need help badly for my pool. I have a 17X32 inground pool with nature 2 system. I opened it up 2 weeks ago to find a seriously green pool.
    I started with shock clarifier and algecide. I tried to vacuum what I could, but it was to green to see anything. After days of chemicals and testing with testing strips (all chemicals were out of wack) it became a lighter green. took a water sample to pool store.

the readings were as follows: free chlorine 10.0-tc 10.0- cc 0.0- ta 72- ph 7.5- calcium 170- cya 15- copper .5- iron 0. They told me to brush pool with socks and algaecide, then add 4lbs. of shock, then add 2 lbs of yellow rid. It will turn water cloudy white then just vacuum and then adjust chemicals and should be crystal clear. I did what they said and it was still green after 2 days. I took another sample back to be tested and the guy said copper was high and stabilizer was high. All he could tell me was drain pool 4 inches and add new water to dilute the stabilzer. Beyond that he couldnt tell me what to do.He didnt even give me the read out this time.

So I came home and shocked the pool again added algicide and clarifier and vacuumed and vacuumed and vacuumed. It is now a very pretty teal color. I can see on the low end sheets of algae i Pickup but I still cant really see the floor of the deep end. I vacuum about 3 times a day for the past 8 days. I dont know what else to do. Does anyone have any ideas to help me out?

By the way every time I add anything there are little white foam bubbles and a oil looking film on top of the water. Does anyone know why I have that? I have had the pool 5 years and never had a problem until now and I am lost and at my wits end.
    Thank you
    22k gal, IG Grecian 4ft to 8ft.
    Hayward cartridge filter system w/nature 2
    2004 built vermiculite structure with vinyl liner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Green Pool

Welcome to TFP!

Your CYA level is a little too low, so you are losing a great deal of your chlorine to sunlight. You should raise your CYA level up a little to 30.

Shocking is not something you do all at once and then you are done. You need to maintain a consistently high FC level. See How To Shock Your Pool in Pool School.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP. If you haven't read Pool School, that's a great place to start. Also I would read this article - with regard to your Nature 2 system....

http://www.troublefreepool.com/alter...uth-t3025.html

You should seriously consider investing in on of the recommended Test kits - that way you aren't relying on bad pool store advice/testing and you aren't wasting money on unneccessary pool store chemicals.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you for your help. I have started to read the suggested articles and will start on on the pool in about an hour. Another question I have been looking for the answer to and can not find. Could I just stop using the nature 2 filter and start the BBB method?

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, no special conversion is required between Nature2 and BBB, just start doing things the new way.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for your help. I started the BBB method and the pool is totally clear! Yeah!!!!!! Now have white foam bubbles on top of water, was told by a friend it is from the algaecide and will go away. Lets hope so.

8. Back To Top    #8

Many of the common algaecides will foam up. The foam can last as long as a week. You just need to wait it out.

This is one of the reasons we don't normally recommend algaecide.

9. Back To Top    #9

The only algacide you will use during the swim season is chlorine
    25,000 gal IG Utopia pool/Raypack gas heater/BBB

10. Back To Top    #10

Ok an update on my pool. After reading your comments I immediately started the BBB method within days the pool was crystal clear. looks beautiful, Thanks for all your help.

As I mentioned on my last post I had small white foam bubbles, I was told by a friend it was from the alaecide I previously used (per advice of pool store) and that it will go away in a few days. Well as my luck is it has not gone away. In fact it has gotten alot worse. When the pump is off and no one is in the pool it is fine. As soon as anyone gets in bubbles start to appear. If the pump runs it looks like a washing machine on wash cycle with an overload of detergent. Can anyone help me with this? All help is greatly appreciated.

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Elevate your chlorine levels and keep them up until the foaming disappears.....it may take a few days or a week but keep your FC up.

I would suggest at least 50% over normal but 100% over normal would be fine, too.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

12. Back To Top    #12

I have also done much experience of shock chlorination, continue with it until the bubbles disappear. If it does not, let us hear more.

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks all for your input. I will keep the fc up the highest I can and let u know.