New to Pool life Late in Life at 68 HELP

hayboy

Jul 15, 2016
AL`
Wife got this pool for us and the grans. Found this site through a member on a total different website. Using 320 lbs of salt and my SWG to start, got the ph ok with 3 lbs of borax, easy. Now the ? have run the SWG maybe 24 hrs, the TFTest kit shows no chlorine with the 2 provided test, the CYA test is zero, black dot clear as a bell with tube full. Help an old guy out with what to add to start this going in the right direction. Pool was filled with county tap water about 6 days ago. THANKS (Wife has threated taking sample to pool store) Water appears clear to my eye, can see bottom of pool very good.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: So the first thing we need you to do is keep that water sanitary and avoid an algae bloom. You want to increase CYA to at least 30 right now.
You can grab a bottle of HTH stabilizer at Walmart for about $16. I just got some today. :)
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

While the stabilizer is soaking, add some regular bleach for a goal of about 3 ppm. Tomorrow increase that to 5 ppm. Use the FAS-DPD (powder & drops) to test your FC to ensure accuracy. 10 ML water sample, one heaping scoop of powder, then mix until Barbie pink turns clear and divide that number of drops by 2. i.e. 8 drops = FC of 4.

Hopefully we get that bleach in there right away before algae tries to set-in. If you see any green or cloudiness, let us know right away. Hopefully that county tap water (source) doesn't have any metals (iron) in it. If your water starts to get a green or tea-colored tint after adding bleach (chlorine) you have metals. Let us know.

Hope that helps. Welcome to the TFP club. :)

I.m back, after adding 4 gal of 10% chlorine, borax, and cya about 3lbs approx., I have some numbers. Is it ok to swim with chlorine this high? Water crystal clear
OTO is dark yellow, above 10,
FAS DPD looks like approx. 18,
ph is 7.2,
CYA is 30,
cal hardness is ok,
T Alkalinity is 60.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.