Langtry

Jul 17, 2016
Baltimore, Maryland
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Really enjoying all the great info on this site, it really has given me a much better understanding about owning a pool. Last year was my first year of pool ownership and I struggled through some algae outbreaks, cloudy water, spent a lot of money on chemicals...After finding tfp a few months ago, I'm doing much better.

So, my question...my pool seems to be losing a decent amount of water, I have not added much new water this year, sort of been relying on rain water..had a lot of rain this spring/early summer seemed to keep it up where it needs to be. Went out of town for a few days, came back and I discovered water level so low it was sucking in air to the only inlet (skimmer basket?) that sits at the deep end of pool and is about level with water. Can't be good for pump. How often do most people add water in the summer? I've had the hose in filling pool for hours and hours and maybe making a slight improvement. Should I be worried about a leak and start troubleshooting that?

It's been really hot and dry, but would it evaporate that quickly to lose a couple inches in a few days?

Welcome to TFP! Good to have you here :)

You can find out fairly quickly with a bucket test whether it's just evaporation or a leak.

Fill a bucket with water, almost completely full, and set it on your top step. Use some tape to mark the height of water in the bucket and in the pool. Check after hours have passed (without splashout from swimming) or the next day. If the drop in water level is the same, the water loss is evaporation.

FWIW, mine loses about 1 to 1.5 inches a week in hot dry weather, but everyone's loss is different due to things like wind exposure and pool temperature.

This article is helpful: Pool School - Leak Detection

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.