Seacoast, NH
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but just thought I'd ask in case I can save almost $300.

I have a Sta Rite System 3 Cartridge Filter. Clean pressure is 16. We're still on the cartridges that came with the pool 8 years ago, 9th season. Last year was the first time that we ever had to clean during the summer. It's usually only done at closing.

This summer, I cleaned the filters about 3 weeks because the pressure went to 20 after a SLAM (due to the dreaded algae hiding behind the light.) There was lots of dead algae in the cartridges. I did lots and lots of rinsing, but no soaking, and pressure went down to 16.

This week it went up to 20 again, which is super fast for my filter. Nothing that looked like dead algae or anything else in particular. This time I rinsed and then soaked in a combo of Dawn and Pool Life Filter Cleaner. Then I rinsed and soaked again in clean water. Then I rinsed, and rinsed, and rinsed again.

Put the cartridges back in and the pressure started up at 18. It hasn't gone up in 3 days, but I'm thinking I need new cartridges.

Opinions? Is it even worth trying anything else given the age of the cartridges?

In my internet searches, looks like PoolSupplyWorld is cheapest. Anyone have a different, less expensive, supplier? If I limp along with this set until close in late Sept, will I be able to get a significant deal on them in the winter? It isn't worth it to delay purchase to save $5, but if I can save $50, I'd do it.

Does sound like time for new carts. I just replaced one that I'd been using for years. Pool Supply World did seem to be the cheapest when I looked around. I had a question though and left a message (this was on a Sun.) The answering system assured me my call would be returned shortly--they check messages all the time. No call back. When I called back on Monday morning I was informed that I was third in line. What??? I was ticked. They finally managed to call back Tuesday afternoon. By then I told them no sale. I grabbed one from Amazon.

Check to see if there is a Pleatco replacement cartridge to fit your filter. I am very happy with mine. They work better, last longer, clean up easier and cost less.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.