New Pool guy from Texas

Jul 15, 2016
Cypress, TX
Just wanted to swing by and say howdy to everyone and introduce myself. I am the proud owner of a new above ground pool that will be installed tomorrow morning. We decided on purchasing an above ground pool first to learn the ropes and make sure we understand how to maintain a pool. If anyone has any first timer advice please feel free to speak up. I am kinda nervous about taking care of a pool so any help is appreciated. Please, if anyone would let me know on what I may need to do for initial maintenance, meaning adding chemical I would be thankful.

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Advice? ... here's the most important we see all the time here at TFP. The proper test kit (i.e. TF-100 or Taylor K-2006) is the foundation of your pool care. Why these kits? We've learned through extensive practice that you cannot reply on pool store testing, test strips, or simple over-the-counter kits. Personnel training, lighting, and product sales influence accurate testing too much. In addition, simple test kits do not read Free Chlorine (FC) or Cyanuric Acid (CYA) levels accurately or to the high levels we need. If you do not have a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 test kit, it should be your #1 priority.

Great to have you with us.

PS - I recommend the TF-100 with Speed Stir. :)

Oh, by the way.....it's a 27'x52" metal frame pool with a Pentair sand filter/pump. I have ordered a test kit, I ordered the Taylor K-2005C test kit from Amazon back on the 14th and I will be here on the 19th. So, hopefully I am heading in the right direction. I am assuming that after I get the kit I should imediately use it to test the water in my pool to see what chemicals I need to add and how much correct? I did order the pool perfect + phos free to start with my maintenance, so I'm hoping this will be a good addition because I have heard that adding this every week will definatley help keep the phosphate level in check to keep the green and blue stuff away.

IMG_2294.jpg

IMG_2296.jpg

Well, perhaps I can save you some money if it's not too late. Return the pool perfect + phos free. Not needed. Phosphates are algae food, but we don't have algae in our TFP pools so phosphates are irrelevant. Pool store gimmicks and snake oils designed to suck your wallet dry. Try to get your money back. Since you ordered the K-2005 and not the K-2006 you need THIS ITEM. I highly encourage you to get that product then your K-2005 will be the equivalent of a K-2006 for accurate FC/CC testing.

Stick with basic TFP Recommended Chemicals and testing and you won't waste time or money on products you don't need. We're here t help. :)

Good advice, all around...

Starting day 5/25/2015 INTEX AGP 24'x12'x54" 8,400 gal, with salt and borax, INTEX 3,000 GPH pump with 16"sand filter, WM Hayward Skimmer, Intex SWG CG-28669, 1 1/2" hard plumbed PVC, Lil' Shark Vacuum With Leaf Canister, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test