Relationship between CYA and pH

Jul 15, 2016
Sacramento, CA
I have a 10,000 gal in-ground vinyl pool. Current CYA is 55-60 which I know you say is high. Pool supply company - decent folks who don't try to sell me things - think this level is ok. What concerns me is each week I need to add a pint of acid in order to lower pH to correct level. Am not using a stabilizer, last year had an issue with super high CYA and "pink bloom" algae. I can drain some of the pool but don't want to waste the water unless necessary.
Current chlorine demand is 2 gal per week liquid chlorine.
So question is does CYA affect pH? Ie is need for continuous addition of acid due to current level of CYA?
Appreciate all suggestions and information.

Welcome to TFP :)

You CYA has nothing to do with PH, it can when you first put in CYA, it may drop you PH a little... congrats on lowering your CYA :)

PH rises from, waterfalls, returns hitting the top of the water and creating ripples, raised spa's, SWG's... anytime air can get into your water and break the surface can raise PH.. If you bring your TA down it will help you PH not raise as fast..

Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

I hope this helps :)

I have a 10,000 gal in-ground vinyl pool. Current CYA is 55-60 which I know you say is high. Pool supply company - decent folks who don't try to sell me things - think this level is ok. What concerns me is each week I need to add a pint of acid in order to lower pH to correct level. Am not using a stabilizer, last year had an issue with super high CYA and "pink bloom" algae. I can drain some of the pool but don't want to waste the water unless necessary.
Current chlorine demand is 2 gal per week liquid chlorine.
So question is does CYA affect pH? Ie is need for continuous addition of acid due to current level of CYA?
Appreciate all suggestions and information.
Welcome!
How do you test the water, and how often?

How do you normally chlorinate, and what is your daily FC target?

A CYA level of 60 may not be all that high if your pool is in direct sun all day long.

For a CYA of 60ppm your FC target is 7ppm, and the minimum you should ever let it go is 5ppm.

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Two gallons of 10% chlorine will add 20ppm, or about 2.85ppm average per day for 7 days, not bad at all for a pool that is being used often and left uncovered.

Dom

I test about every 3 days. As I responded to other "helper" not sure how to test for FC. Or how I figure out ppm.
I use the simple little Poolmaster 5 way test kit. With the water ampler and drops of solution. Maybe I need a different kit?
Thanks so much, look forward to more education.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.