Is it better to run the SWG at ...

petman

Jul 9, 2016
Danville/CA
Is it better to run the swg at 35% for say 6 hours or 100% for 2 hours? I don't know whether it turns on and off if it is at a lower setting or just lowers the power used? If it is "on" for the full 6 hours, then running at 35% seems a waste of its life. I know the life is based on run time so wanted to see how it works and therefore which is the better method to run it. I have an IC40.

Two hours at 100%, four hours at 50%, eight at 25%, are all the same to the life of a SWG cell. The power to the cell just cycles on and off, with it being on the percentage set. It works kind of like a microwave oven. The only advantages to running longer at lower percentages are, you are adding chlorine in small doses over a longer period as it is being consumed, and the lower setting provides the ability to up your dosage by turning up the setting vs having to increase run time.

The % setting / pump run time does not really matter in terms of the life of the SWG.

There are some minor advantages to spreading out the SWG operating time, maybe even splitting it into 2+ different cycles. But there is rarely a need to run the pump for more than a few hours a day (see Determine Pump Run Time
) ... from a $$$ standpoint, you are better off running the pump as short a period of time as possible and just run the SWG % higher as needed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.