testing and balancing copper system pools

Jul 12, 2016
San Antonio,TX
copper system pools are very new to me and i have learned a few things in the past couple of weeks. but no one seems to know about testing the chemistry and keeping it in balanced. i have the test strips which read copper levels from .03 up to 6.0 . can anyone tell me what the correct reading is?

Greetings, Air. Unfortunately, TFP guides and moderators will not likely be able to give you good advice re: "how to" manage a pool using copper because we don't advocate those systems at all, for myriad reasons.

I will however, go so far as to say that anything above a .3 ppm reading can and likely will at some point cause staining on the pool surface, blond hair, etc.; that copper will precipitate more readily in high ph or high FC conditions, and that all research shows that chlorine at 7.5% of cya will always sanitize better and faster than any alternate system.

If you're interested in deploying the TFP approach to water care, you will find a lot of assistance here. But by attrition, we're just not in a position to help those who follow an alternate care method. Let us know if you're interested in a different way, and in the mean time, search the many threads on copper in our archives.
Best wishes.

Your copper ion system maker should have given you specifications for the appropriate levels of copper and chlorine. All copper/mineral ion systems must state a minimum level of free chlorine (FC) needed in conjunction with the copper ion levels to act as an appropriate sanitizer and algaestat. If this is not written down somewhere, then you should contact the manufacturer of your system or your pool builder (?) if appropriate.

If you would, please update your signature line with your pool details so we can better help you in the future. As others have said, TFP does not advocate the use of these mineral systems as they are inferior to standard chlorine sanitation methods. However, if you run into any problems we can try to assist you as needed.

Welcome :wave:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.