Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Effect on TA when adding MA at different pH levels?

1. Back To Top    #1

Effect on TA when adding MA at different pH levels?

How much aeration does it take to bring up pH?

I know this is a very difficult question to answer. I am trying to lower TA so that I can add borates. 3 days ago I brought my pH to 7.0 with MA. I have been aerating by having my return pointed up and I have a sump pump on the other side with a spray hear on the end of the hose - making bubble. In the 3 days I have been aerating pH has risen barely to 7.2. At this rate it will be all summer before I get the TA down.

When I tested my borates, it is already showing that I have 15ppm in the water. Is this preventing my pH from rising with the aeration?
    24ft AGP 52in deep ~13,500 gal
    Hayward Sand Filter 250 lbs
    SWG
    1.5 HP pump

425 gal stand alone QCA Hot Tub 15-20 yrs old

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Lowering TA with MA & Aeration

There is no easy way to estimate how long it should take. You want lots of small bubbles. There is no standard way to compare how much aeration you are getting. It often takes days to raise the PH with aeration, and borates can slow that down significantly.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

mine took what seemed like forever too. I eventually broke down and built (well just stuck together without glue) a couple pvc aerators.

my-aerator-t7799.html?hilit=aerator
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

4. Back To Top    #4

OK, now I have aeration - I hope it goes faster!

I hooked up the sump pump that we already had in the pool to the power washer.

SWG
    1.5 HP pump

5. Back To Top    #5

nice. do you get more bubbles if you put that wand a little closer? it almost looks like it's dissipating more than pushing air (via the water stream) into the water.
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

6. Back To Top    #6

Pictures were hard to get. The sun was just coming up. I keep playing with the wand slightly. When I had it closer to the water, it was throwing water out of the pool. It is really making the water move and I think it making a lot of bubbles to aid in the pH rise.
    SWG
    1.5 HP pump

7. Back To Top    #7

cool. nice solution.

8. Back To Top    #8

I got the nozzle closer to the water at a lesser angle - making a bunch of bubbles. pH still isn't rising like I would like for it to, but it is definitely faster than before.
    SWG
    1.5 HP pump

9. Back To Top    #9

heh, well, with my two pvc aerators it still took many hours.

10. Back To Top    #10

I saw a chart (linked from here) yesterday that showed the relationship of the level of pH and the level of TA and the percentage that TA was affected when adding MA. Now I can't find it. Does anyone have a link to it?
    SWG
    1.5 HP pump

11. Back To Top    #11

Re: Effect on TA when adding MA at different pH levels?

A fixed amount of muriatic acid (for example one cup) will always change the TA by the same amount, regardless of what the current PH is. So there wouldn't be a chart showing exactly what you said. You can see how much some amount of acid will lower the TA using the effects of adding chemicals section at the bottom of my Pool Calculator.

Perhaps you are talking about this chart? It doesn't show what you just said it shows, but I could imagine someone describing it that way.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

12. Back To Top    #12

Yes, that is the chart I was referring to. I had forgotten exactly what it showed, but thought it would be helpful. Thanks for deciphering for me!
    SWG
    1.5 HP pump

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by reebok
    mine took what seemed like forever too. I eventually broke down and built (well just stuck together without glue) a couple pvc aerators.

my-aerator-t7799.html?hilit=aerator
    Very cool!!
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)

14. Back To Top    #14

that was kind of misleading on my part. that thread is what dman2b showed me as an example of how he did his. I just reposted the link, it's not actually mine.