Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Lowering TA-pH is at 7.2 now & aerating now-add acid or wait

1. Back To Top    #1

Lowering TA-pH is at 7.2 now & aerating now-add acid or wait

Hi all,

My TA is currently at 100 (I want to get it down to 70-80 so I can add borates) and my pH is currently 7.2 & I am currently aerating, can I add acid now to bring down both pH & TA or should wait until the pH up higher before I add acid?

Thanks

Bob
    I consider myself very lucky I found this site before the pool store found me-pool owner since Nov 2008- Stunningly clear 17,000 gal fiberglass pool, thanks to this site, installed in 1982-24" 3.1sq. ft sta-rite sand filter, 1 hp - 2 speed wisperflo pump-WFDS-4

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Lowering TA-pH is at 7.2 now & aerating now-add acid or wait

Wait. Let it raise back up to 7.6 and then lower it again with acid.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks FPM,

I will wait until I hit pH 7.6, pool calc. says add 60oz. acid to lower pH to 7.0, how much TA reduction should I expect with 17,000 gallons?

I do not want to overshoot TA

Thanks again

Bob
    I consider myself very lucky I found this site before the pool store found me-pool owner since Nov 2008- Stunningly clear 17,000 gal fiberglass pool, thanks to this site, installed in 1982-24" 3.1sq. ft sta-rite sand filter, 1 hp - 2 speed wisperflo pump-WFDS-4

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_Funk
    pool calc. says add 60oz. acid to lower pH to 7.0, how much TA reduction should I expect with 17,000 gallons?
    Pool calc will also tell you how much the TA will drop; see the "effects of adding chemicals" section at the bottom.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR
    Pool calc will also tell you how much the TA will drop; see the "effects of adding chemicals" section at the bottom.
    --paulr
    I did not catch that, thanks Paul

Bob

6. Back To Top    #6

rely on your testing to see how much the pH has changed or the TA dropped and remember that the TA test is only precise to +/- 10 ppm so don't micromanage!

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks waterbear,

I will, I was just looking for an idea of how many times I would have to add acid & bring the pH back up, looks like 2 or 3 times to get where I want it

Bob

8. Back To Top    #8

fwiw, overshooting TA (if you mean getting it too low) is one of the easy problems...just add chemicals. also, 20 mule team borax raises your TA as waterbear notes in his article. in my case, it was by 20ppm.
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

9. Back To Top    #9

Borax raises TA, but for simply raising TA with little impact on PH - Baking Soda is a better choice.

Raising PH - Borax and Soda Ash - though both will raise TA in varying amounts
    Aerating - raises PH without affecting TA
    Raising TA - Baking Soda - will raise PH very little.

Use the "effects of adding chemicals" section of the pool calc to see the various numbers.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com