Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hello - thank you from a noob

1. Back To Top    #1

Hello - thank you from a noob

Last summer I purchased a house in NW Florida with an in ground pool (18 x 36). We inherited a professional weekly pool service from a local reputable family run business. Even though in the dead of winter our pool water temp would fall into the 50's - I continued to swim. I love cold water and use a wet suit. (Probably why I am in the Coast Guard)..
    My sand filter is due for a change out and I am going to switch to zeolite. My pool guy says he sees noticeable change in water clarity between the sand and zeolite. I read the pro's and con's on this site and I will report on how much of an impact it has.
    I almost fell into the Nature2 trap. My neighbor swears by his. My pool guy said he installs them, but he did not think I needed one. He said my pool maintains good balance as is. My thought was “if it makes it better, why not”. This site provided me with great info so I could make an informed decision. I will not add it. The thought of turning my daughter’s hair green was enough for me to not add it.
    When my pool maintenance contract expires, I am planning on taking on the pool maintenance myself. My pool guy said he would help me and any time I had concerns, just bring in a pool water sample and he would let me know what I needed.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hello - thank you from a noob

Welcome to TFP! Glad you found us!

No need for you to take any pool water samples to your pool guy. Once your contract runs out, you can take over yourself rather easily, and do so by testing your own water with a good test kit. The TF-100 (link in my sig) is the best way to go for value.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Strike Z
    ...When my pool maintenance contract expires, I am planning on taking on the pool maintenance myself. My pool guy said he would help me and any time I had concerns, just bring in a pool water sample and he would let me know what I needed...
    Welcome to the crowd !

I'd strongly recommend that you go ahead and get a good test kit and "get to know your pool and water" before the contract expires. It's better to know what you have and what to expect before you need it.

You'll need either the TF-100 or Taylor K2006. Here is the link for the comparison between the 2 kits: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...kit_comparison
    Most of us use the TF100 as it's a good deal and the support is excellent.
    Triad Region of NC
    18x37 Vinyl IG (24,000 gal.), BBB & GoldLine AquaLogic PS4 SWG, Hayward 1 HP Superpump / Hayward Sand Filter / Polaris 280 cleaner / 6 deck jets / Sheer Descent Waterfall (in coping) / Brick Red Concrete Coping / Stamped Concrete Deck
    Lots of oak trees, maple trees, *and* leaves!

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

5. Back To Top    #5

Hi Strike Z,

Yep, I also agree w/Craig & Fuzzy. If you want to be in control of your pool, you need a great test kit. Best investment we made in our pool.

Welcome to the forum
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome aboard skipper

As the others said or implied, get the good kit and really take control of your pool water
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome to TFP! this is a great site. Be sure and go to Pool School category/pool-school/ and invest in a test kit. It's really very easy to maintain your pool on your own.
    21' Leslies Beachland Ag Pool, 10,000 gallons, professionally installed (best money I ever spent) Hayward 16" sand filter w/Pentair two speed pump Fafco 4x20 solar heater,Aqua Trol RJ. Borates added. Hard plumbed.