Ok to put rain water into pool?

May 26, 2009
Seminole, FL
Got some big barrels my wife uses to collect rain water for watering plants and such - But she doesn't use nearly as much as they hold. Is it OK to put some of the water into the pool to keep it full? I heard it may drop the pH and such but are there any other downsides? Obviously it rains into the pool so it can't be THAT bad.. :)

Like paulr I also couldn't resist using my kit on rainwater and found the pH to be off scale low. Did some reading and found that ""pristine" rainwater is like 5.6; lower in polluted areas. But my experience says it doesn't matter.

Over the past two weeks I've gotten about 4 inches rise in the pool due to rain, which is about 7% of my total volume. The pH and TA haven't changed measurably.

I'm sure one of the chem experts could explain it properly, but I think the key point is that the pool is a buffered system, so the pH change is much smaller than simple dilution would suggest.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.